Interesting hunts coming up?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Interesting hunts coming up?

Post by bobw »

We need some intelligent conversation here guys, anybody have any interesting hunts coming up? What ,where, and using what hardware? bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Re: Interesting hunts coming up?

Post by Stephen Borud »

OK Bob since nobody else stepped up I will tell you my plans this hunting season. I have a type 1 elk in Wyoming, I am going to use a 70# 28'' draw long bow I had made about 16 years ago. I have not killed a darn thing with it in 12 years so I am looking forward to seeing how I do. I killed 4 deer with it back in North Dakota and it's a proven meat getter. The same week I am hunting elk with a bow I am going to see if I can break the new 50 2 1/2'' Sharps in on a couple of antelope does so we have some back straps and tenderloins to munch on and if a deer gets near me the longbow will strike at it too. Good luck hunting this year.

Stephen Borud
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Not sure how "interesting" it'll be, but I have an antelope and cow/calf elk license for here at the house. Hope to be able to find a mule deer buck, but I think the cats have the deer stirred around again so the deer hunt thing might be a bust.
Thinking will probably get a general elk license and go hunt a real elk in the mtns somewhere probably out south of Rawlins, and if the deer thing doesn't work here maybe head to the Black Hills in November.
Unless getting the cow/calf elk here for Doc and Edies freezer turns out to do something different, plan on all the game shooting to be done with the 44-77. :)
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
High Plains Shooter

Post by High Plains Shooter »

yeah...my season is not really interesting, either.

I have a really nice whitetail buck I have been seeing off and on the last 3 years on the farm...

the problem is I just never see him during hunting season....I think he reads the newspaper. :)

Other than that I have the usual 8 to 10 buffalo I need to cull.

Regards,

HPS
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I'm going for the volume discount this year. I have 6 antelope tags, 4 deer tags, and 1 elk tag between CO and WY from September through December. My wife also as 4 antelope tags that she will likely fill using a .270 off a bipod. I'll be donating most of this to charity and giving whole deer and antelope to friends and family who no longer hunt. A good friend at work is sending her 11 year old son with me for experience as he is very interested. He can buy his own tags next year. Considering adding a buffalo again this year as well. Seriously considering using my Shioh Buisness rifle in 45-70 for the majority of this work.

Anyway I guess it may get interesting after all.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

High Plains Shooter,

If you need some help culling bison, I have a 50-90 just itching to harvest one, or the 50-70 hog gun could come into play too. I'd be willing to help you out, just give me a call.

K. Tebbe
"Tebbeman"
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul & the other for your Freedom!
pete

Post by pete »

Well like Don said I don't know if it's interesting but I'll be after antelope and deer. Be using the Shiloh Hartford 45-70.

Stephen;
That's real cool getting deer with a long bow especially one you made yourself. When I was a kid I shot a rabbit that went into a stack of cinder blocks. The arrow went through the rabbit and hit our dog in the tongue who was on the other side of the stack. I didn't know he was there and the broadhead almost cut his tongue off. My dad was real mad and my friend who was with me thought it was a good time to go back home. Another time I shot a pigeon and it took off with the arrow and flew over to the roof of the neighbor's garage and sat up there looking like a weather vane with that arrow through it. That's about the extent of my bowhunting. Not quite up to your accomplishments.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

pete wrote:Well like Don said I don't know if it's interesting but I'll be after antelope and deer. Be using the Shiloh Hartford 45-70.

Stephen;
That's real cool getting deer with a long bow especially one you made yourself. When I was a kid I shot a rabbit that went into a stack of cinder blocks. The arrow went through the rabbit and hit our dog in the tongue who was on the other side of the stack. I didn't know he was there and the broadhead almost cut his tongue off. My dad was real mad and my friend who was with me thought it was a good time to go back home. Another time I shot a pigeon and it took off with the arrow and flew over to the roof of the neighbor's garage and sat up there looking like a weather vane with that arrow through it. That's about the extent of my bowhunting. Not quite up to your accomplishments.
Pete I should of worded that different, I had the longbow made by a bowyer in Montana, so I can't claim credit for it. :oops: Your stories about shooting a longbow as a kid reminded me of a bet my buddy made with me when I was 17. He bet that I couldn't shoot a squirel out of his moms tree with my longbow. Well he lost the bet and the squirel ended up having a arrow all the way threw it from tail to nose. Now this wouldn't of been bad but the squirel didn't fall out of the tree for 2 days and at that time I was using bright orange feathers so it kinda stuck out. Needless to say when his mom found out about it she was pissed at me for a long time and his 6' 7'' dad wasn't very pleased either. I don't think I went back to his house for three months. When I did finally walk in the door his dad looked down on me and said... So I hear you shot a squirel in the front yard..ahhhhhhhh yea I did, he had nothing but a smile on his face. :lol:

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

Stephen;
That's still cool to get deer especially with that kind of bow either way. Not too many people even try it thay way . That was a good story about the squirrel. Yea the goofy ass stuff we do when we're kids. I felt pretty bad for our dog. Nowadays I feed the bunnies in the winter so they'll leave the bushes alone.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Yea Pete, my kids love the rabbits around our house. I use to wack a few every year just to keep the fear of GOD in them, but anymore the owls manage them real well. Thanks for the compliment on the longbow. I'm back using the longbow for hunting for the same reasons I hunt with a Sharps rifle. Not many people do it and I was never one to blend in or follow trends. :D

Stephen Borud
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, I think I'm going to head back up to the 40 mile and see if the mosquito fork has enough water in it this year to float my 14 ft NRS raft down. If not we'll float the lower end and see if we can pick up a caribou or two if not a moose.
I'll take my ole reliable 98 Mauser chambered in .338-280 and shoot .210 Noslers, Kevelar stock and topped with a 2x7 Leopold glass.
Hope my hunting pard son-in-law can get off flying long enough to go hunting for a week with me. He's been cruising over the Pacific for the last three weeks. Busted down in Guam and was waiting for parts, made it to Japan and needs one more part before he can head home. Any other outfit would fly with a small oil leak but not the the U. S. Air Force. I'm glad they are so picky about aircraft safety. One of my ex marine aviator friends said that they often flew their C-130s with non critical break downs that would have been grounded had they been Air Force. He said the Air Force is really anal about having their aircraft in good repair.
I don't know, If I ever get my roller together I may give it a try one of these years for moose. I could have killed the second bull with ease had he been legal with my pistol. The first one, a paddle bull was about 150 yards off on the other side of a beaver pond. Paddle bull was to big and the two brow tined bull was too small. Needed a spike fork bull or over 50 inches or three brow times. I hate these stupid regulations as I'm sure as many wolves as we encountered the bulls will never get much bigger.
I guess I should have killed the two yearling wolves we saw but I just couldn't bring myself to shoot them. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

There was a great article in Muzzle Blast magazine this month by Heinz Faude about muzzle loader hunting in Namibia. He was shooting a Pedersoli muzzle loader with .72 caliber patched hard lead ball weighing 555 grains propelled by 180 grains of WANO at 1600fps. He hunted every day on foot for two weeks and took 70 head of game including Eland, Zebra , wildebeest and eight Oryx.
He said the hard lead ball penetrated shoulder bones much better than the normal soft lead ball does.
The alloy was not broken down as to content only that it was hard printers lead which normally would be Linotype I believe which I think I remember as being 5-5-90, Antimony, tin and lead, no?
An interesting article indeed. He said he was hunting on the 321,000 acre Swakoptal Concession. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I may have egg on my face guys as I reread the article and he said he "hunted" seventy head in two week including 8 Oryx and that isn't the same thing as killing 70 head at all, which is how I took it. He told the account of killing two oynx and showed pictures of one oryx and one Eland. I remember thinking he must have a lot of doe to pay for that many head of game in trophy fees and don't they have bag limits over there?
The actual quote, " In those two weeks I hunted seventy head of game including Eland, zebra, wildebeest and eight Oyrx."
Any way, in the interest of accuracy I felt it necessary to clear up my likely error in understanding what the author was saying MD.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I haven't done as much muzzleloading as some on this forum and only have a Pedersoli Tryon 54 rifle and a TC Seneca 36 currently.Though I have owned and shot 45 and 50 cals. Quote "that it was hard printers lead which normally would be Linotype I believe which I think I remember as being 5-5-90, Antimony, tin and lead"? If he got that alloy down the barrel in the form of a tight patched ball ,I'd sure as hell would have liked to seen him do it. mdeland, you need to have a little doubt about some of the stuff you read and credit as good. bobw
bobw
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

True Bob, very true! "Gullible" would be the word I think! Actually I have always heard that linotype had a tendency to fracture when hitting heavy bone, if that's what it was. MD