Goex...FFG or Cartridge

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Harlan Sage

Goex...FFG or Cartridge

Post by Harlan Sage »

I'm getting ready to place an order of powder and will switch from Swiss to Goex. I've been very happy with the Swiss, but there is a big difference in price and I know Goex will also do the job.

My question is, should I get ffg or cartridge? What's your flavor and why?
I'll be stuffing it in 45-70 and 45-90, with a 540 gr. bullet.

Thanks
Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
rdnck

Goex 2f and Cartridge

Post by rdnck »

Harlan--Either the 2f or Cartridge will give good accuracy in both your 45-70 and your 45-90. Cartridge has more consistency in the size of the individual particles of powder than does 2f due to the fact that the screening of it uses a screen size that is just the least bit smaller than the 2f screen. This eleminates most of the fines from the powder. Cartridge is also given an additional coating of graphite in the glazing process.

A given lot of sporting powder will yield any or all of the granulations--!f, 2f, 3f, 4f and Cartridge, as well as the new Cowboy powder. The difference in the grades is simply the size of the grains, with the exception being that the Cartridge also gets the extra graphite.

In the case of the Cartridge powder, the up side is that the elimination of the fines gives a more even burn. The down side is that it typically causes Cartridge to be 5 to 7 fps slower than 2f from the same lot. I frankly find it to be six of one and half dozen of the other. I use 2f in my 45-70 and the wife's 40-65 simply because that is what I have. I have a couple of friends shooting Cartridge in their 45-70s, and their sd numbers are the same as mine, usually 3.

My 45-90 will cheerfully digest 2f, Cartridge, and 1f, and I can't tell the difference in group size, at least to 500 meters. I think if I were looking at 1000 yards in the 45-90, I would go with 2f or Cartridge. The 45-110 is 1f all the way. Hope this helps. See you at Kenny's match. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Harlan,

I haven't used Goex FFg or Cartridge as I've been using Swiss FFg. I have Goex Fg that I have loaded in a couple of boxes of .50/90 that are now ever so patiently waiting for my next rifle to go into production (hopefully in June :) ). But from what I've gathered from talking to some of the fellows who use it is that the primary difference between the Goex FFg and Cartridge is that the Cartridge is given an extra graphite coat and is seived more closely so that there are much fewer fines. And of course the fewer fines results in slightly less velocity for equivalent loads.

Hopefully one of the fellows who has used both will come on and give you an intelligent answer from real knowledge.
Lee Stone
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

L S ! What you will have to do is get a pound of each first and see what will make the best groups in your rifle the way you load it with either of these grain sizes ! I have one that likes Cartridge and others that group better with 2fg goex ! Compression , bullet and alloy , primer all together ! JAGG
JAGG
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Myself and a couple of shooters from CTSA just got a case of Cartridge, I'd never used it before but I like it so far. It just looks cleaner to me, and looks shineyer and blacker. I shot my best score so far with it. I wonder if shineyer is a word. Wasn't it Will Rogers that said it is an ignorant man indeed who can only spell a word one way. ha ha.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
deerhuntsheatmeup

Dictionary

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Ken,

My name is not Mariam or Webster, but when I invent a new word, it pleases me all the same, such as fuquebackage, the definition is when someone stabs you in the back, you give them a dose of fuquebackage.

Works most of the time but you mileage may vary.

Later, Barvid Dayfield