Not just my first buffalo but my first buffalo with a sharps

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bamadep

Not just my first buffalo but my first buffalo with a sharps

Post by Bamadep »

I decided to treat myself to a buffalo hunt after returning home from deployment. I called up Rick at Sandhills Outfitters and after numerous emails and calls over the months it was coming to be a reality (I need to add that I have been going back and forth with Rick over the past several years to set this up). Rick and his wife Doris treated me and my father in-law to a great week of hunting, food and hospitality. Sandhills is highly reccomended, so much so I have another hunt scheduled for next winter.

Rifle: Shiloh Sporter #1 40-70SS, MVA 6 power scope, 20-1 Steve Brooks New Postel .409 411 grn bullet being pushed by 66 grns 2F Express.

Hunt: After several hours of stalks my father in-law hit a nice 1 1/2 yo bull with my Browning Highwall 45-90. The shot disturbed and irritated the herd so to break them up and get their attention on something else, Rick pointed out a nice 3 yo bull for me to take. The shot was 53 yards slightly up hill broadside, the bullet hit just behind the near shoulder through the heart and exited the far shoulder. He crow hopped 5 or 6 times and fell about 25 yards from where I hit him. As Rick said we got the entire experience on this hunt.

Now that we got the easy shot out of the way, let me finish with my father in-law's bull. For those that have hunted Buffalo, you know they can be tough. My father in-law's second shot after another stalk that was pretty exciting was a good lung shot and the bull did not even show that it was hit. Rick got my father in-law within 25 yards again and after a nice head shot, he fell where he was hit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“People may hate you for being different and not living by society’s standards, but deep down, they wish they had the courage to do the same.
Stephen Borud

Re: Not just my first buffalo but my first buffalo with a sh

Post by Stephen Borud »

Way to go one shot one kill. You will have lots of good meat to eat ahead of you.

Stephen
Bamadep

Post by Bamadep »

Stephen, Thanks just the start I hope.

we had a couple T bones the other night melted in our mouths and also grilled some burgers they were out of this world!!!!

Gary
“People may hate you for being different and not living by society’s standards, but deep down, they wish they had the courage to do the same.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Looking good Gary looking good! :) bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Bamadep wrote:Stephen, Thanks just the start I hope.

we had a couple T bones the other night melted in our mouths and also grilled some burgers they were out of this world!!!!

Gary
I'm jealous. I cooked a couple of Bison roasts last winter they were outstanding.

Stephen
Bamadep

Post by Bamadep »

Thanks Bob, all the family is gone now we need to get together and shoot some and you can see the video. I got my Prong horn tags.

Stephen, we have not had a roast yet but looking forward to that and some stew.
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

Gary
OUTSTANDING!
Lee
EMC Retired
Bamadep

Post by Bamadep »

Thanks Lee I have been meaning to send you a picture right after I got back but with family visiting and all today was my first chance to sit down and take any amount of time.
My better half has a place in the front room for the shoulder mount.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Congratulations! Very well done. Now you have a problem as you are in the process of becoming addicted to buffalo meat. I haven't found a cure for it yet and the only treatment I know of is to keep your freezer filled. We eat about one a year. Nice bull, BTW. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Bamadep

Post by Bamadep »

rdnk thanks. Yes we figured that out real quick but not a bad habit / addiction to have, can not wait for next years hunt December this time.
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Bamadep:
Nice buffalo. The rifle looks like a peach too. I like the figure in the forend.
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Bamadep,
Nice catch--rifle & buff. Since most hunting reports are from iron sight shooters, how did that big shaggie look through that 6x scope?
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
Bamadep

Post by Bamadep »

Darryl,
Thanks yes the rifle is a real peach. As was the Buff I can not wait for the shoulder mount but that will be 12 months. the rifle is one that I got from Dakota Dick.

OPS, He looked big but heck he looked big without the glass. The scope did give me the ability to place the round right were I wanted it.

I am looking forward to to using my 45-90 Business rifle to fill my pronghorn and deer tags.
Gary
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Congrats and thanks for your sevice. Nice Bull! blessings
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Bama, that's a lovely bull and the hide looks to be in very nice condition for late summer. Any idea what your big fella weighed? How about your father-in-law's bull?
And as others have said, thank you so much for serving our country.
Bill