.50 cal and Rifle weight

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BIG50

.50 cal and Rifle weight

Post by BIG50 »

I am considering ordering a 50-70 from C. Sharps with a 30 in. #1 heavy half octigon barrel from the Bridgeport ara. This will be used for target shooting and some informal target matches. I know the LITTLE 50 does not have the reputation for accuracey but that is the challenge isnt it. Anyone have an idea what the overall weight of the rifle will be. Im guessing about 11 lbs without tang sight which is how I will order it. How much extra weight would another 2 inches of barrel lenght raise its weight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

BIG 50
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Based on personal experience with both companies, My first and best recommendation is to buy from SHILOH if you want a QUALITY product WITH EXCRELLENT customer service. If you want a GOOD product with SOME customer service then go to your first thought.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
N2

Post by N2 »

Big 50 - I have a Shiloh #1 Sporter with a 32" heavy barrel, cheekpiece, and pewter forend in 50-90. It comes in under 12 pounds with sights. Your 30" part octagon may well come in under 11 pounds. I have both Shiloh and C. Sharps model 1874's. Both companies build a nice rifle, but I'm on the hook for another Shiloh, not another CSA. Where a man spends his money may tell you something. - Nick
Travis

Post by Travis »

First,stick with the original--Shiloh. I have one of the brandX but only because the folks at Shiloh don't make an 1885 Win. My favorite hunting gun(modern) is a long range express with a heavy half tube and a pewter tip. It weighs in at 11 lbs. 6ozs. The recoil is not a big factor if you shoulder the beast right. It sure does a number on about anything you care to try.
good luck-- Travis
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Big 50-

I finally received my C. Sharps last Friday. You were right. An excellent firearm. I am very pleased with it. I will have to say that C. Sharps customer service is lacking big time! At the time I ordered it I thought C. Sharps and Shiloh were still one and the same.

My brother has an original allen conversion 50-70. It's accuracy is awsome! He has loaded and shot both black powder and some smokless (imr 4227 I believe), both shoot great. He is using a Lyman mould...it think it is a 450 gr. Lubes both black powder and smokless with spg.

Our range only goes out to 223 yards. At the end is a section of rr track upon which they have setup steel targets...mostly round (about 18" diameter). He knocks them over with embarrassing regularity!

Cannot help with the weight. My model 74 with the #1 heavy tapered barrel in 50-90, 32" weighs in at 13 pounds.

Thanks,

David
deerhuntsheatmeup

who's site

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

This is Shiloh's site, go ask John.....
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Dear Mr BIG[ca-hone-ies]50:

I am sure Kirk Bryan, being the gentlemen that he is, would have nothing but good words to say about C. Sharps. I too would agree that they make a fine gun..........HOWEVER......My thoughts are do yourself a favor, order your gun from Shiloh and you will be buying the better of the two not to mention what a great bunch of people they are to deal with. If not C. Sharps ....."forum"..... is across the ROAD!

How is that for the Proper Black Powder Etiquette? I hate taking the morral high ground.....I like it better down in the dirt were I can ...say what is really on my mind.....but now that the Mrs. gets on here...oh-well!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Big 50-

So, how's the decision going?

David
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

B 50 ! Get yourself a 45/70 or a 50/90 in what ever brand you buy ! JAGG
JAGG