Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Road Dawg

Questions on Ordering the Quigley

Post by Road Dawg »

Should I get the:

Full Buckhorn or the Semi-Buckhorn?
Polished Barrel or Non Polished Barrel?
Antique Finish or the Standard Color Case?
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Road Dawg,

It depends on whether or not you want duplicate of Matthew's rifle. I wanted a Quigley (Boy, that movie has sold a lot of rifles :wink: ) but I wanted a lot of up grades (Click on my web page button at the bottom of my post and you can see a picture of mine) plus I wanted it in .45/90. So the great ladies of Shiloh had me order a Hartford (base model of the Quigley) add the features to make it a Quigley (patch box initials, etc.) then I added the up grades I wanted and ended up with a beautiful rifle.

As to the buckhorn or semi-buckhorn rear sight. If you intend to put tang sight (I put an MVA Long Range Buffalo Soule on mine) on the rifle, you will have to go with the semi-buckhorn so the tang sight can see over it at the shorter ranges. If you don't intend to put a tang sight on it then I would go with the full buckhorn, but that is just my opinion.

Barrel finish. I went with polished barrle and polished/fire blued screws. The standard finish is rather dull to suit me.

Receiver finish- Matthew's rifle has the antique finish, but I went with the bone pack case hardened and it shows off the gold inlay initials beautifully.

Let me suggest you also consider the custom bedding of the forearm. That provides excellent protection of the inside of the forearm in the event you get caught in wet weather. A very prudent up grade.

I also suggest at least the AA, if not the AAA finish on the stock. I got AA on semi-fancy wood on my Quigley (semi-fancy is the highest grade wood they can go and still make the cut for the patchbox), I have AAA on presentation grade wood ordered for my .50/90 Sporter #1 which may be ready this coming September.

I hope some of this is useful to you. Take a look at the picture of mine. Click on the www (web site) button at the bottom of my post here.
Lee Stone
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Lee, What was the wood upgrade you got?
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Hey Larry,

I got semi-fancy with the AA finish. As I stated above, semi-fancy is as high as they can go and still cut the stock for intallation of the patchbox. Any more figure and the stock could be weakened by the cut.

I'll tell you what though, Kirk's idea of semi-fancy sure is beautiful!! I am really anxiously dancing from foot to foot awaiting the arrival of my .50/90 Sporter #1 so I can see what that "presentation grade" wood with the AAA finish is going to look like. I am sure it will take my breath away even more than my Quigley (as I prefer to call it :wink: )
Lee Stone
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to actually see it, the pictures just don't do this weapon justice. Lee may have the prettiest Shiloh I have ever seen. It is a stunning weapon indeed.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
carrottop

Post by carrottop »

I received an exact copy of the Quigley that Tom Selleck carried in the movie, trust Shiloh , there is not a better rifle made anywhere , and I own a large compliment of firearms. As a post certifid(sp) firearms instr. viet nam combat vet that carried an m-14( 26 combat missions). I know firearms and the basic Quigley outshines everything I have ever touched including sniper rifles for military and law enforcrment. If you upgrade it is only frosting on a already frosted cake. Don't pay much attention to those shooters that want to shoot minute of angle at 300yds. Just load and shoot and havbe fun.
SHILOH1
Don't no where were going ,but there ain't no use in being late.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Carrottop,

You are absolutely correct. The upgrades I got were only wonderful icing on an already fabulous cake. But it sure is beautiful and I love it.
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I'm coming down to shoot that beauty Lee, by the way be looking in the mail for a package.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

Lee, I knew semi fancy was as high as you could get on the Quigley but when I saw yours it looked like extra fancy in the pictures. My 45-110 on order is a Hartford made up like a Quigley with everything except the sights and gold initials. I would kinda like to get the gold initials but I can't decide if I want them $500 bad. It would be really cool to have them on the gun but it would probably also reduce the amount you could get for the gun if you ever had to sell it. Not that I would ever plan on selling it.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Don, as far as ever selling my rifle, my heirs will have to deal with that problem, so, to be selfishly honest about it, I really don't care how the initials affect the resale value. I am hoping my kids and grandkids will want to keep my guns. The .50/90 Sporter #1 I have on order will also have the initials inlayed on it, just like this one. I buy and shoot guns, I don't sell them. The only time I part with a gun is when I give to one of my children or grandchildren. And I really like the way Shiloh's engraver does the initials. For me the added touch is well worth the $520.00. That is just me. But I really do think that having your initials inlayed on your new rifle would make it mean just that much more to you. Again, just my opinion.
Lee Stone