How is antique finish done?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

KHR

How is antique finish done?

Post by KHR »

Hi Kirk,
If it is not a company secret, could you tell how the antique finish is created? If it is proprietary process please excuse me. I have some cowboy guns that I'd like to antique.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Sorry for stepping in here Kirk but I could not resist

KHR--Shoot them,,,shoot them religiosly at least once a week,,,,and handle them everyday so they don't get lonely!!! :shock: :)
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Big Gun

Post by Big Gun »

The Shiloh crew that does the wood and metal finishing will probably not like this reply, but here goes anyway...

Antiqued my first No. 3 a number of years ago. I used the pillow ticking material with the yellow gunk on it...don't remember who sells it...comes in a plastic baggie...used to de-lead barrels I think...used a M/L that I built 30 years ago for wear patterns...this rifle had plenty of experience to draw from. Rub gently over a period of many days...don't go too fast...and keep the wear patterns realistic. Do a little rubbing every evening and eventually you will start to see results. Quit when it gets close to what you are looking for...you can always take off a little more finish later on.

With respect to the wood, I rubbed SPG in the wood at the same time as I worked the metal. Rub a very small amount in with your hand and rub until the wood is hot to the touch. You wouldn't believe the patina look it gave the wood.

Actual hunting will give you the proper amounts of dings and scratches and it will be honest wear. Every hunter I encountered while hunting firmly believed that rifle was 120+ years old...and I didn't bother to tell most of them it was a new Shiloh.

I can email a picture to anyone who is interested. I would post one with this memo but don't know how to do the attaching process.
Grizzly Dave

Post by Grizzly Dave »

Big Gun:
Did you get my PM?[Sent it sunday]
Thanks,
Dave