? For Harlan Sage

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Wainer

? For Harlan Sage

Post by Wainer »

Harlan, just doing a little research, since you live in western Nebraska, my uncle was in Airborne in WWII and at one time he said he was stationed in Alliance, Neb. for training before heading for the War, I was just wondering what kind of camp used to be there for training. I believe he was in gliders.
Thanks, Don
The tomb is still empty.Peace brother.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Don

Spent a few years living in Scottsbluff and working in Alliance. What is now "Alliance International Airport" used to be a training facility for pilots during WWII. Many old pictures on the walls of the terminal building depicting the activities and the barracks, recall some of gliders you mentioned. Believe reading somewhere that location (far from peeping eyes) and terrain made it an excellent choice for training.

Scott
Shiloh 45-90 Hartford, military buttplate, 34" heavy octagon barrel, semi-fancy wood
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Scooter,
Thanks for covering me on this one.

Wainer,
I Live in Sidney about 80 miles south of Alliance so I don't know the history that you are searching for. Westerned Nebraska was a busy place and has alot of history during WWII and during the cavalry days. Just north of Sidney is the site of the Souix Army Depot which now Cabela's occupies some of the building for warehousing. At the Souix Army Depot there are 1000 amunition bunkers that we call igloos. They are all concrete covered with grass to be made invisible from the air.

If you are ever in Sidney you may be interested in visiting the WWII Memorial in the park, just look for the 140 ft flag pole and huge American flag.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Dead Eye Dick

Post by Dead Eye Dick »

I understand that Custer traveled through Nebraska on his way to the Little Big Horn. When he got to the ill fated place in what is now Montana (where they still shoot from the front porch). He told the troops he had a vision and had good and bad news. Bad news :( - Indians gonna kill us all; good news :D - we don't have to go bach through Nebraska.
TriKiDiki
The more I practice the luckier I get.
A wanna B Shilo Rifle Owner.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Heee Heee.....Nebraska has gotten much better since Custer's day. Now you can see a tree once in a while and we recently got running water and electricity.

We also shoot from the front porch.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Dead Eye -- Wife shares similar sentiments. Gonna get on my soapbox now -- every part of this great country has it's own beauty.

Harlan -- made the trip to Cabela's several times a month just to "get out". Lightened their gun "inventory" far too often.

Scott
Shiloh 45-90 Hartford, military buttplate, 34" heavy octagon barrel, semi-fancy wood
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Just a bit North of Harlan, and a touch west, is Fort Robinson.

Home of the US 5th Cav and were the Red Cloud Agency was. The Guard house still has the bunks where Crazy Horse died after being Bayoneted on the grounds.

In the post sutters records, List both of My great grandpa's names as folks that the US Army got Cattle and Horses from.

Bit on north of Crawford NE and Fort Robinson is a small spot in the road known as Mont Rose, a small church and a large family plot, of the Wassburgers, Henrys and Scavadahal Famlilys. My Great Granpa Jacobs Ranch. Less then 200 yards from his Grave is a large stone maker, On this spot Buffalo Bill Cody killed Yellow Hand 6 weeks after the Custer fight. Turning around the Sioux and Northern Cheyenne that had jumped off the agency.

That part of NE is pretty!

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Kenny,
Interesting (family) history, definitely something to be proud of! Always good to hear personal accounts from previous generations of our country's pioneering history.

Dead Eyd Dick, Harlan,
Shooting from the front porch hugh! Your guys are lucky, over here, we can only shoot from our back porches!
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Pitspitr

Post by Pitspitr »

Hi Kenny
I was in Chadron a week ago to visit my daughter and saw a Wasserburger listed in the church bulletin. I don't recall the first name, but remember wondering if they were related to you.

The Crazy Horse gaurd house is a reconstruction, but it's still a very interesting place. (I'm partial to Ft. Hartsuff myself. :wink: )
Jerry M. Davenport

I said, "I never had much use for one."
I never said I didn't know HOW
pete

Post by pete »

Dead Eye Dick; Your geography is a tad off. The expedition along with Custer left from Ft. Abraham Lincoln near present day Bismarck North Dakota. They never got close to Nebraska on that one.
Since we like history our trips frequently go to historic places and Memorial Day weekend we were thinking of going to Chimney Rock and Scottsbluff. I wanted to swing by there when we went buffalo hunting last Nov. around Gordon but a snow storm stopped that. I was just wondering from those that have been or lived there whether these places are worth a trip or not from central Colorado? Thanks.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Pete -

Scottsbluff National Monument has a small museum with artifacts from the westward migration (both Oregon and Mormon trails passed thru the area).....a drive to the top of the monument gives you a lay-of-the-land (flat). On a clear day you will be able to see Laramie Peak, next landmark for the wagons. In season (which I think includes Memorial Day) they will have a replica wagon with a woman dressed period authentic demonstrating bread-making in a fire pit. Chimney Rock also has a visitors center off Hwy 92 and is lit at night. Tidbit of info -- top 90 feet was shot off during WWII gunnery training. Also can get a view of the Courthouse and Jail rocks from Hwy 88 to the south. Good spot to eat off 92 near Bayard (Gordon Howard's) -- ribeye steak over a wood fire w/fixin's outdoors, also breakfast in the morning (also over the fire). From central CO may want to make this a 2-dayer. After reading this over, may want to go back!!!

Scott
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Scooter for the good report. When I read your post the first time I interpreted your last sentence as meaning we might not want to go there and just go back home because it's a wast of time. It was a little disconcerting. After reading it again I saw you meant you wouldn't mind going back. I liked that better. :lol:
That really sucks about the 90 ft of Chimney Rock being shot off. I had read that it wasn't the same height as it was in the 1800's but didn't know that's why. Some people just don't respect historical significance or natural wonders. We'll check out that restaurant you mentioned.
We've been to Ft. Robinson and The Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron. Since Ft Robinson was used for so long it's hard to tell what it was like in the 1800's though. Pretty neat country in western Nebraska. Thanks.