weighing bullets....room temp

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Harlan, no offense taken :) . I just was having fun reading all the posts, and noticed you hadn't replied yet so thought I would spur you on a little. Using electronic scales under differing conditions is a valid concern, and I for one am glad you made the original post. Sometimes I think we all have the same problem, but don't really figure out the reason/s for the problem until someone else points out that they too are experiencing the same thing.

BTW, I am the guy responsible for you selling out the Shooters Friend recoil pad at last years Quigley. I let several people try mine and feel the "live rubber" and told them that you had them for sale there. When the weather gets hot again I will be using the neck and forhead coolers that I bought from you at the Q. Sure makes shooting a lot nicer without having sweat dripping down into my eyeglasses, and keeping a cool neck. Thanks, Randy
Randy Ruwe
captmorgan

Post by captmorgan »

I just received my new Durascale 50 digital scale. Reweighing several hundred bullets gave readings nearly one grain heavier than the Cabela scale. But unlike the Cabela, the Durascale gave the same reading later in the day, after turning it off for a few minutes and weighing the next bullet without letting the scale zero itself. Whats more, it was only $ 58 from balances.com. One thing I didn't know. These digital scales are sensative to radio frequencies. If you are having accuracy problems, try turning off radios and TVs.
captmorgan
D. Deal

Post by D. Deal »

I also use a Pact scale and notice a difference in weights over a time period. I never really worried about the temp as I load indoors. The weight difference I have noticed is when I started to cast and weigh my bullets. I never re-weighed any charges of smokeless so never paid any real attention to it. The good thing is the bullets I re-weighed went into the same weight lot more times than not. There is a "difference" but it is a "consistent difference". Kind of like that last one. I think I'll use it more often. What really fries the old brain is how can say a Lyman 45132 have a larger difference in weights than say a Paul Jones 45001. Got one of each and have seen it in action.
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

My theory as to why there is more weight fluctuation with a Lyman mold compared to a Paul Jones or a Brooks is because of the smaller mass of the Lyman causing it to heat up and cool down faster thus creating a wider range of casting temps. The larger molds keep a more stable temp and since bullet weight varies with mold temp you get a wider spread of weights. The Lyman blocks IMO are a touch on the small side for .45 and larger BPCR bullets. I'm not saying they won't work, but they are a little harder to get good results with. I do have a 330gr 38 cal Lyman mold that works just as well as any other and is very consistent.
Steve
Troll

Post by Troll »

The change in gravity due to the moon cycle will affect weight as measured by a spring or compareable digital scale. The only way to counter-act this is to use a balance beam scale as the change in gravity will counter itself out. Any repeatable high precision weight measurments have to be done with a balance scale.

If its enough to create tides it will definitely affect your measurements.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
deerhuntsheatmeup

I use.......

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I use the elbowristhingepalm method of weighing bullets. I don't shoot very well so it doesn't matter. Actually I shoot OK, but my targets move around alot. We Southerner's don't make excuses, we steal em'.

Later, David Barfield
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

This is giving me a headache!! Much too complicated for me to even ponder!!! :lol: 8) :P
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter