Adobe Walls New Face Lift!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

Adobe Walls New Face Lift!

Post by RMulhern »

Last year after a visit to Adobe Walls and witnessing the dilapidated state that the gravesites were in I wrote an email to the below listed individual concerning the possible "refurbishment" of the area. Below is a recent email that I have received concerning this project and I thought some of you folks, especially TEXANS, would be interested in seeing this communication from the gentleman I contacted! So...sometimes it helps to write letters/emails! Anyone wishing to send a donation can contact the below listed individual at the bottom of this email. Personally...I'm gonna send them $100.00.

Last year, we communicated regarding Adobe Walls north of
Stinnett, Texas. I wanted to let you know that we have recently
received permission from the State of Texas to rehabilitate the
graves and monuments at the site. We anticipate a monument
company working within the next two weeks to fill in areas that
have settled, as well as resetting the monuments after replacing
pigment in the carved areas.

At one point during our discussions, you indicated that you might
have access to individuals willing to donate to a project such as
this. If that is still the case, if you would let me know or provide me
a list, I am willing to contact them. Although the Panhandle-Plains
Historical Society has committed the funds and resources to
conduct the work at the site, any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

While this is not the end of the work required at the battle site, we
were willing to separate the activities into smaller projects to
facilitate approval and distribute costs over a longer period of time.
It appears that this approach was successful, as we are now able
to begin repairs.

Thanks for your interest in Adobe Walls and if you have any
questions, feel free to ask.

Sincerely, Jeff

Jeff Indeck, PhD
Chief Curator and Curator of Archeology
Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum
West Texas A&M University Box 60967
2503 Fourth Avenue
Canyon, Texas 79016
(806) 651-5231
(806) 651-2250 fax

:lol: :D :lol: GOD BLESS TEXAS!
rdnck

Adobe Walls

Post by rdnck »

Sharpsman--You're too easy. I contacted this same Dr. Indek last year concerning the possibility of coming to Adobe Walls and duplicating the Billy Dixon shot on the same ground that the original was made from. I had the support of both Goex and Shiloh to provide the necessary assistance and proper equipment, and informed Dr. Indek that I had industry support. Dr. Indek dismissed it out of hand, telling me frankly that he didn't think the shot was ever made, nor was it possible to do so, and as a result the site was off limits and unavailable for such an undertaking He considered the attempt at a shot to be an off the wall experiment and refused to contact the landowners on my behalf.

You can send him your hundred bucks if you want to, but he won't be getting any of my money, I promise. Shoot straight, rdnck.

ps. See you the 19th. I've got a little surprise for you.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
RMulhern

Adobe Walls

Post by RMulhern »

Rdnck

You just "ain't" rubbin the boy....with the right turkey feather!! :lol:

Now...what ya gotta do is invite the fellow out to the "Walls"....offer ta buy him a big ole steer steak :roll: :roll: (tender of course).....tell him ya gotta have his photo for the magazine....and in general.....blow a lotta smoke up his hinney!! :? :wink: Ya know...them TEXAS boys...is good at blowin smoke :? so he'll understand where ya be comin from! And then....to disprove his theory bout the shot not bein possible....promise him you'll show him it can be done. I'll be glad to set this up fer ya.....! Two cases Goex 1F oughta do it!! And as a little sumpthin xtree :lol: ...I'll come along and take the photos!! :lol: :D :lol:
rockhound

Post by rockhound »

Just an idea. Wouldn't it be cool to have some kind of match at the Adobe Walls site like a buffalo match or maybe a "Southern Quigly"? I don't know how it would get started but I think it would be fun to go there and shoot.
MRH
pcctex

Adobe Walls

Post by pcctex »

Redneck.....

I live in Canyon. I'll try to contact Dr. Indeck in person about a Billy Dixon re-creation. Three of my kids graduated from WT A&M. I'll keep ya'll posted if I have any luck.
KHR

Post by KHR »

hi all
what an outstanding idea! I'd certainly come to it! Just schedule it on a saturday so people could drive to it. It could become like the quigly, if the land across from the site could be used.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I'll be there. I guess I'll have to have a new rifle!! I wonder what model Sharps BD was shooting that day?? The show on the H channel said it was a 50-90 but didn't say which model. Since it was in '74 it had to of come from Hartford right??
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
stepnmud

Post by stepnmud »

I sure like rnck's idea on recreating the shot, my 11 yr. son and I made the trip to Adobe Walls last summer and can't help but think an organized shoot out there would be nothing but great for bringing the history aspect to the public's attention, not to mention adding a little money into the local economy. Wasn't the Turkey Track Ranch, kinda of owned by a co op, and actually permitted the Adobe Walls site to be visited as a free place to see.
The fenced off area is apparantly is main site of Adobe Walls approx. 10acres. and the distant bluffs are off limits.
44magnum

Post by 44magnum »

ONE WOULD THINK THAT HAVING A YEARLY SHOOT WOULD BRING
MONEY TO THE LOCAL ECONOMY, BY THE SHOOTERS & SPECTATORS
AS WELL.
RMulhern

Walls shoot

Post by RMulhern »

I think trying to arrange a yearly shoot at the "Walls" comparable to the "Q"....is wishful thinking! Now...if you fellows had a spread worth no telling how much $$$$$$ and you had a nice/big/fat bank account to boot......would you want 500 some odd "yahoos" stomping around and shootin big bullets across your property?? The matter of liability alone....is enough to turn a man's stomach! :cry: :cry: If Billy Dixon himself were alive and saw us coming.....he'd turn the dogs loose on us! :cry:

Forget it! It ain't gonna happen!! Not on the Turkey Track Ranch anyway!!

Now...all you folks what's gonna make the "Q"....be sure and go up and thank Mr A. G. Lee....for being kind enough to let us shoot there!! He's one in 20 million!! :lol: :D :lol: