No time to work a load, need help

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Harlan Sage

No time to work a load, need help

Post by Harlan Sage »

I just switch to goex 2f from Swiss 1.5 and we are shooting next weekend and no time to get out and find the right load. I need a load for two rifles,
45-70 34" bl, 540 P Jones Creedmore
45-90 34" bl, 540 P. Jones Creedmore.

My first thought is to measure powder to compress about .300" for each rifle.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Harlan,

While I am not the expert that the Rdnck is on Goex. I will suggest that with the FFg loads try to work up the amount you will need for about .330 to .350 compression. Thats where I have had the best luck with FFg in my 45-70.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Thanks Kenny

My thoughts were in the .300 - .350
I guess if I shoot badly at Jimbo's shoot I can blame it on the load.

See ya in Rawlins
Harlan

Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Harlan I was shooting FFg goex in my 45-70 for a while and I think with .300 compression I was loading 68 grains and using a .060 wad and a lyman 535 seated to .590 below the mouth.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Harlan,I've got a load for my 45-70 that uses 70grs of Goex CTG with a Leeth 545gr PJC bullet,.060 LDPE wad.Been chewing out some nice little groups at 100yds in my Browning. I'm planning on using it at Miller on Sun.--Hope this helps---Monkeyboy.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Ken, Mike,

Thanks for the load info. With the new powder all I can do now is load and shoot. We will be going to Jimbos shoot in Rawlins next weekend. Jimbo says will be get a lesson on shooting in high wind conditions. Knowing Jimbo, this will be a hoot.

I decided to go with the Goex because of the $ difference from the Swiss. I really like the Swiss, but the Goex will do the job as well, so I guess I'll see if the $ saved is worth it. I don't think there will be much difference.

Harlan

Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I think you are right Harlen, I just switched to Goex Cartridge and I really like it, it is very consistent from can to can.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Tony Nielson

Post by Tony Nielson »

Harlan,

I have tested the 02-97 Goex in my 45-70 with compression up to .380. Velocities have been the same as lot 2 of Swiss 1.5 and the fouling has been the same or even less than the Swiss by actual quantitative measurement. As an example 78 grains of S1.5 left 2.1 grains of fouling in the bore after 5 shots where 78 grains of G02-97 left 1.9 grains of fouling in the bore after 5 shots. Compression of those loads was S1.5 at .230 and G02-97 at .380.

Tony Nielson