.44-77 on Buffalo

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

longcarbine

.44-77 on Buffalo

Post by longcarbine »

Hunted buffalo in S.D. this week on the 65,000 acre Tripple U ranch NW of Pierre.
I used my Shiloh .44-77 Hartford, 405gr. patched ball, 40-1, 72 gr. 1.5 swiss.
Spent most of the morning looking over different small mixed heards, in fact it took
about an hour of looking around to find where they were. Ended up sitting on a
little ridge above about 30 buffalo, mostly young bulls, which is what I was looking for.
They were all jumbled up for a while but started stringing out some and I picked out a couple of
bulls and waited to shoot which ever one cleared first. Sat for another couple of minutes and
the bigger of the two bulls I was looking at had a younger bull standing directly behind him so I took a
bead on him and waited for about 30 seconds when the younger one took about three steps out of the way
and then I touched her off. The bull turnd around and trotted about ten steps then stopped and stood there for about
5-10 seconds then fell down and that was it. Couldn't shoot him again while he was standing there
because too many other animals were in the way. Range was between 75-100 yards. Bullet passed all
the way through. Had my two boys (6 and 7) with and they had quite an adventure.

Here's some pictures

Bullet entry wound into heart

Bullet exit from heart

Bullet used

The owner figured the bull was 3 years old and weighed about 1500 lbs. Weighed the
halves on the hook and it came out to a bit over 700 lbs. Going to hang the skull in the
shooting shack and am going to have a robe made out of the hide as he was perfectly prime
and of course have a pile of meat to eat. The tounge is going on the smoker tomarrow.

G. Larson

G. Larson
rdnck

Re: .44-77 on Buffalo

Post by rdnck »

Gannon--Great report on a super hunt. Your boys will remember that for the rest of their lives.

That is a nice bull, and a fine looking rifle. The shot placement wasn't too shabby, either. It helps to have an accurate rifle, and for sure and certain you have that 44-77 working. Congratulations, and thanks for posting the story and pictures. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Ditto Rdnck.
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

YES! :D
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
longcarbine

Post by longcarbine »

Thanks rdnck. the rifle and load are definatly on the money. I have my own range and over two weeks
put 150 rounds on a life size buffalo target that I made, at ranges from 50 yards to 250 yards in every
kind of crappy north dakota weather, from field positions, not a bench.
A rifle and load like that does a lot for a shooters confidence as a clean killer, knowing that bullet
will go exactly where you want it to.

G. Larson
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Great shot with 25 cents change to boot! :D

Seriously, you did everything right on this hunt. I am very impressed with all of the preparation you did and then let the boys go too! All Sharps rifle hunters reading your excellent story here should take notice and do likewise.

Congratulations!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
shovel80

Post by shovel80 »

Nice!...That was deffinately as Perfect a "Heart Shot" as a Heart shot could possibly Be!!... :D

Terry
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Gannon--That's what it takes. Before I go to Africa, or shoot a buffalo, for that matter, I spend two or three weeks before the trip shooting animal silhouettes from field positions here at my home range. I try to shoot 5 or 10 shots in the morning, and 5 or 10 in the evening at least. I don't shoot groups, just a shot or two on an animal and then I move on to the next one at a different distance.

This is the sort of training that brings you and the rifle together as one unit and it really pays dividends. You've got it going, my friend. Congratulations again. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Last edited by rdnck on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Tell us about that mold please......

Congrad's on a great hunt, kill, and I, like others here, are so glad your boys had a great experience.

Best, David B
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Nice shooting Gannon! I bet your boys were excited to say the least!

Stephen
Brent

Post by Brent »

Nice shot. I did that once to an eland heart -- about the same size. Looks like you guys will be in meat for a long long time. I gotta do that one of these days.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Congratulations, L.C., on taking a very nice buffalo, and especially for taking your sons w/ you to be a part of it. Ditto on your hunt preparations, too. Also, agree on the challenging weather in this country, especially this time of year. I like your rifle and choice of calibers. 8)

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
longcarbine

Post by longcarbine »

Thanks for the replies. When I was getting ready for this I figured the odds for a
nice day weather wise were pretty slim so I made sure most of my practice was on the
coldest days with the worst cross winds. Funny thing was the day I shot the buffalo the wind was
only about 10 mph and the temp about 35 degrees, which in this part of the world is tropical paradise type
weather for this time of year. I guess it was prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I also forgot to mention earlier that the round I used to shoot the buffalo was loaded up by the two boys, everything
except casting and patching the ball. I drew a big red X on the base with a sharpie marker
so we knew which one it was. You should have seen the look on their faces while they watched
me slip that shell into the breech and close the lever. It made them an active part if it instead of just spectators.

Thanks again

G. Larson
bobw

Post by bobw »

Congrats of the first order,you had a great day. I can imagine that a couple of young boys had some pretty big eyes when they saw you chamber "their" shell. What kind of yield in meat poundage will that bull give you?bone out? I too would also like the specifics on your original style Sharps mold if you would tell us. bobw
bobw
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

L.C., that's a really good idea on having your sons help load "the special shell." I got a couple of grandsons that would think that is the real deal to get involved like that. If you don't mind I also would like to hear more of your Sharps style mould. Thanks for a great idea!

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)