FL Resizing 45-110 after bullet seated????

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JAGG

Post by JAGG »

K W ! What do you mean by { I anneal my cases after every firing } ! Do you mean dead soft cherry red annealing each time ? How are you annealing these cases each time ? JAGG
JAGG
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Jagg,

Just what I said, I Anneal my 45-110 brass after every firing!

Hot Cherry Red? Thats not annealing that ruining brass.

Jagg I heat my brass in a very dark room on a slow turning drill and just as it begins to show a hint of color I drop it into a bucket with no water! I let them air cool as this gives a milder anneal job, if you drop them in water quench they are much softer then a air cool.

I spent one evening with one of the best LR and Silhouette Shooters in the country, and asked alot of questions, ALOT. I never once argued with his methods just asked and got answers. It was a chilly evening in Butte Mt after a BP Schutzen match and was one of best learning sessions I have ever had. The next spring I put that knowledge to use and my LR scores sure have not been hurt.

Kenny Wasserburger
Knight Commander of the FES
Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Well K W ! How about sharing the information that you got from that Long Range shooter ! By Starting a new thread on LR BP shooting and listing what you learned , and what is working for you now ! Did you stay in the motel outside of Butte where they made the Movie Rancho Delux ? They had some nice BP shooting of a Lincoln Cont. in that movie with an orginal 50 cal. Sharps rifle ! JAGG
JAGG
Kenny Wasserburger

Jagg,

Nope did not stay at that place, Stayed at Butch's house. Not all of Butch's advice works for me, it does for him, he is one of the toughest BPCR Silhouette and LR Shooters in the country. Butch will help anyone that asks, but the first time you say well ya but??????? he dont abide the Ya butts too well. You ask he will answer, you argue, he walks off end of lesson.

Moral of the Story dont do any " Ya buttttt??"

One of things I learned was what I just posted on and shared! Anneal after every firing. Consistant neck Tennsion is one of the biggies in LR in my opinion. With SD's of 3 fps its sure not hurting!

One of the major things was spotting for me and of course doping that wind condition, last spring some things just began to really come together, I noticed it at Mt Creedmoor match, again at Butte for the State shoot when I was spotting for Jim Gier and Chance. And Also at Raton and finaly at Missoula when I did my own spotting for the Creedmoor Regional. Hard to explain, but then come to my match I am going to do some spotting and schooling for the early comers!

Kenny Wasserburger
Knight Commander FES
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

JAGG

Post by JAGG »

K W ! With all of this annealing that your doing do you have any neck tension on the bullet or is it a sliding finger fit ! Have you tried the anneal and then necksize and expand 3 times and then load for long range ? JAGG
JAGG
Kenny Wasserburger

Jagg,

Yeah I have neck tennsion, bullets are seated with inline seating dies and with special attention in the bullet seating step, I dont want any Run out if at all.

Now why in the world would I go to all that work of sizing and expanding to destroy my annealing job?

Careful with them ya butts!

Kenny Wasserburger
Knight Commander of the FES
Wyoming Territory Sharps Shotoer

JAGG

Post by JAGG »

K W ! To get the same neck tension for every round ! Even but firm Neck tension helps for a better and even powder burn ! In other words anneal and then size and expand the cases 3 times gives you work hardened case necks that will all have the same neck tension on all of the bullets and will release all of the bullets at the same pressure level ! Ya Boobs man myself ! JAGG :D
JAGG
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

***** K W ! To get the same neck tension for every round ! Even but firm Neck tension helps for a better and even powder burn ! In other words anneal and then size and expand the cases 3 times gives you work hardened case necks that will all have the same neck tension on all of the bullets and will release all of the bullets at the same pressure level ! Ya Boobs man myself ! JAGG *****

I am obviously no expert in this field as seen from my group that I posted. And as I would not put words in Kenny's mouth, I think what I got from his post was that his method of "cooling in air" and not water would give the milder annealing with him having more control rather than standard annealing with water and then working the brass to harden it up a bit.
RC
Kenny Wasserburger

Jagg,

Its been my finding that work harden brass has very inconsistant neck tension. And with my mild anneal I get VERY Consistant neck tension. Every bullet I seat feels the same with the annealed brass.

It shows at the Chrono and on the target. And thats all the proof I require. Its making master Class scores at LR Creedmoor, and Works for Butch very well. Once I did this and got a decent Fg powder in my rifle and loads in the 1300+ fps area my vertical at 1000 yards was gone when dealing with 10 and 2 oclock winds.

Rcasto, your experiance may be limited but you are on the right track. Thats exactly why I air cool my brass. I get consistant neck tension with this method. The 45-110 is one of them cartridges that a precison loader loves, do any half measures with this round it will not turn out well. The upside is that it is a very accurate cartridge and works very well at LR. The round had a reputation for a reason back in the glory days of Buffalo Hunting. I just have taken alot of time to find that out.

Kenny Wasserburger