45-110 - Short Range Help Needed

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Rcasto,

I just got home from work and saw your post.

#1 30-1 lead, is not the best choice for a 45-110. I have found after much testing, that the Sharps factory knew whats best with this cartridge, 20-1 so far works by far the best in all of my playing with the 45-110. They even mention the use of 16-1 lead. I plan on trying that also in the near future.

The rest of your load looks good and the picture show the rifle is trying to group.

I noticed one thing your brass is a bit short at 2.865, I trim mine at 2.875 and the chamber length is 2.880. Your soft 30-1 bullets might be bumping up in the throat area since your cases are a bit on the short side. Then going back down to bore size might be part of the problem.

One other thing? your benching method, if you alter grip presure just the slighest bit with these big boomers it will have its effects they kick and do torque on one when shooting them off the bench. You really have to hold on to a 45-110 when benching the rifle. A serrious good rest is also a must.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, give me a call at 307-687-0080 and I will be glad to give you a hand.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
rdnck

Ah Ha!!

Post by rdnck »

rcasto--Now we're getting somewhere.

Do two things, and if that doesn't work, do the third with the Norma cases. First, weigh your cases. Separate them into light, medium, and heavy. Keep them separated, and shoot each group as a lot.

Second, seat the bullet so that the seating depth just allows the bullet to kiss the rifling and engrave about .015 down on the first driving band when the round is chambered. My overall cartridge length with the Lyman Postell bullet is 3.709. This OAL may or may not work in your rifle, but it gives you something to work from. If it doesn't shoot after this, drill the flash holes to .094. A 3/32 drill bit is perfect for this.

I have a second Shiloh 45-110 that came out of this recent batch of heavy barreled guns. It is a Number Three Sporter with a 30 inch barrel and goes just under 15 pounds with sights. It would not shoot with the Buffalo Arms cases--my other 45-110 does--and would not shoot with the Norma cases until I drilled the flash holes. Day before yesterday it put 5 Lyman Postells in 2 1/4 inches at 200 meters. Today it put three Postells into 1 3/4 inch at the same distance, and 5 Paul Jones Creedmoors into 6 inches at 504 yards. These things WILL shoot, but they require ammo that fits the particular rifle. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

rcasto,

Looks as if the bullet is stablizing ok, the target paper isn't tight against the backing, causing it to look like the bullets aren't stable. Thats alot of rifle to shoot, is it putting any hurt to your shoulder? Maybe just a little?

A.Bruiser
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

Thanks for the help everyone. Kenny - I use a top of the line Sinclair rest with windage and matching rear leather bag. *** However - I have always allowed the rifle to free recoil upwards with no hand on the forearm. I have never held it tight on the bench. This is probably what is causing my vertical dispersion.

Rdnck - I will try what you have suggested.

A. Bruiser - My other love is African rifles. The recoil of my Shilohs do not come near my 416 Rem, 416 Rigby or my 470NE double rifle. It may approach the 375 H&H. I shoot the 416's alot offhand at a steel gong as well as my 470 with no recoil shield. However, I always use a shield when shooting from the bench.
RC
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

rcasto, I have a brand new 45-110 also so I'm watching this series of posts for MY benefit too. With the vertical nature of your group you may want to tweak the harmonics of that barrel a little by going up a grain or so on your powder charge(106-107 gr?). This was suggested to me by rdnck last year and it really helped me-at least on my 45-70. Go up with a vertical grouping and go down on the charge if a if your load is shooting horizontal. Try not to despair, I have several friends with 45-110 and all are superbly accurate rifles but some have been tempermental in finding what they like-keep plugging. They will shoot lights out when you find the right load.
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Sharpsman,

Thanks for that extra bit of information.

A.Bruiser
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

rcasto

Have you had the chance to follow the advice yet?? Just curious on the results!

Stillwater
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

Stillwater:

Not wanting to try too many things at once ( I like to test things one at a time), I checked my brass weight, - all 10 were within one grain. I checked that my seating depth was up to the rifling and this time I took a very firm hold of the rifle on the bench - no more free recoiling.

And guess what???? A very pretty vertical string about 8 inches high.

AAARRRRGGG!

I reset my compression and seating die and will try that tonight, weather and wind permiting.

I will find what works!!!!
RC
Josh A.

Vertical stringing

Post by Josh A. »

Rcasto, are you shooting over a chrono? I found a problem with my 45-100 with my chronograph. I had seated the bullets out close to the rifling, as the rifle fouled the velocity got higher. The fouling was holding the bullet from intial movement longer with each succeeding shot. I backed the bullet down a few thousandths and the velocity climb ended.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955