The "harvest" term irritates me.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Post by pete »

I suppose if it makes someone feel better then they should go ahead and use the term. I look at this site at work on my breaks and yesterday a person at work asked me what the this site was about. I told him about Shiloh and my Sharps and told him about the talk forum too. Then I started telling him about our on going conversation about this topic. When I told him that hunters are using the harvest term he interjected before I could even go into details with something like "To make it look better to people"? He's a non hunter and probably pretty typical in that thought. I'm not making this up it happened like that.
MudChild; They have a name for the idiots you're talking about, they're called poachers. I'd say you're definately in a separate group from them.
Hidehunter ; Looks like you and me pretty much see eye to eye on this .
The Montanan: There's something to be said for your use of the term harvest when describing taking the meat from a kill. I can see where harvesting the meat or fur from an animal you've killed is different than harvesting the animal itself.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I just gotta say something here...
I am a hunter Ed instructor in Wash state, and the director is emphatic that we use the term "HARVEST" to be politically correct and not offend the tree huggers and PITA folks. Well,I have never been one to do what I am told unless it is my wife speaking, and even then I will try to sneak in my own way.
SO....... when teaching a class I define the term "harvest" at the very first meeting.
My defination of HARVEST

H unters
A re
R eally
V ery
E thical
S o
T here !!!
Now as that term applies to hunting, "HARVEST" is spelled K I L L, and that is a test question.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
MudChild

Post by MudChild »

I guess that's one of those things people disagree on. The harvest term doesn't bother me at all, for the reasons above. Now, don't go thinking I go around telling folks, "yeah, I harvested a nice doe last fall." That sounds...wierd. But I don't have a bit of a problem with the media using the term one bit. And as far as PETA goes, they can take the terminology and stick it up their salad shooter. I never really thought of it as a PC term, either. Maybe I'm wrong; that's the term the media and MDC has used my whole life. And my life is probably quite a bit shorter compared to many of you...(please don't hit me :) ) Like the difference in growing up on biscuits and gravy vs. Eggo Waffles.
RMulhern

Harvest

Post by RMulhern »

One "harvests" corn, orka, collard greens, rice, soybeans, cotton, milo, sugarcane, etc.

I KILL THE "FONK" outa deer.....and elk!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

And even a down on his luck coyote?
Lee Stone
Swany

Post by Swany »

Three or four years ago I wouldn't have minded being lumped in the preditor catigory as a hunter. Now the Federal Government in all its wisdom has introduced a new preditor to our area here in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming that I don't care to be associated with, the "wolf". You don't have to be a rancher or farmer to hate the aftermath of this re-enterduction to our states.
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To all:

Interesting discussion. I learned a lot of hunting from my late Grandfather. He was 87 when he died and grew up on a farm in Kansas.

He used the term "Harvest" when thinning a heard, or shooting table meat. He used the term "Hunting" when looking for a Trophy (By any legal means), or sometimes when stalking prey.

Maybe its splitting hairs, but he was anything other than P.C.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Hey Swany, I just read somewhere that the last wolf that was "re-introduced" into the yellowstone area(I think it was Yellowstone) anyway it had to be shot as it had Lost a fight ansd was supposedly all mangy and just about dead anyhow! Hope they don't try and "reintroduce" a species that was not indiginous to the area in the first place--if ya gonna do it then do it right!
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
spook2

Post by spook2 »

"Harvest" is what some of the well-intentioned coined to make what we do palatable to those still puking pablum with no thought of of where their skinless chicken breast or Big Mac came from. Three things: "There is something to be said for killing;" and without stretching it too much, who was it said, "Some people just need killing;"and lastly, in the inimitable words of Will Sonnet, "No brag, fact."
Spook2
Got the target; the friendlies are in sight; master arm on; I'm rollin' in hot. Experto Crede.
Swany

Post by Swany »

Hey RichBratlee,Swany here, the wolf you mention was one of the original wolves that was "REINTRODUCED" into the greater Yellowstone Ecko system back in 1995. He had to be destroyed because finally in the eyes of the Fredral Fish and Game, he had become a problem wolf. In 1995 it was decided by the Fedral Fish and Game that a wolf reintroduction program should be started in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. The only wolf they could find to "reintroduce" to these states was the Cannadian Grey wolf, witch is almost twice as large as the one they were suposedly "replacing". Contary to the Fedral Fish and Games belief we did have a few of the indiginous wolves left at the time of the start of the "REINTRODUCTION PROGRAM", but their numbers have greatly been deminished by the bigger and stronger Cannadian Grey wolf witch they are a sub speices of. Although they are in great numbers in Cannida, they are listed on our endangered speices list and can not be legally hunted. The Wyoming State Game and Fish estimate that there is over 250 of these new wolves in the Greater Yellowstone Ecko system now. To give you an idea of what this is doing to the big game herds of that ecko system, in the last 5 years the wintering Elk herds at Jackson Hole, Wyoming feeding grounds has gone from around 8000 head of elk to about 3500 head.
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

There was no Harvest It was an organized SLAUGHTER ! You can't sell people food if they can live off the land ! If you can't sell , you can't make money ! Just like the land rush's ! How did the banks get the land to sell the land to the people ? They didn't ride any horse races ! It's called BUSINESS ! It's called the Destroy or Steal to be able to Wheel and DEAL ! Get the picture ? Grow UP ! JAGG
JAGG