Two different "Hartford" collars?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Two different "Hartford" collars?

Post by pete »

We went to the Colorado Collectors gun show today and it was really great. There were at least 20 original 74 Sharps (I really need to take a pencil and paper to keep track of everything) that we saw.
The thing is that there were two for sure that were Bridgeport models with "Hartford" style collars. One had a pewter tip and the other had a shnabble fore end. By Harford "style" what I mean is that instead of the raised ring that butts up against the receiver having a rounded front edge these had a sharp edge and the groove portion didn't seem as deep. It was definately a little different looking, not a huge difference but different.. These two were originals and in two different collections. At least one was a Freund ordered rifle but the note describing it said no Freund alterations were done. There were also Harford models with the traditional collars in the show. I wonder if some rifles were ordered with a collar at Bridgeport and the collar was just done a little differently. As usual at the displays that interest me nobody was there to ask.
Also there were 3 Bridgeport sporter rifles with a pewter tip and shotgun butt plate like the one on pg 220 of Encyclopedia Of Buffalo Hunters And Skinners. Just thought that was neat as alot of people have that configuration, including me.
Just wondering if any body has seen this collar thing.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Pete,

I can't help you on the Hartford collar question.

But I would be VERY interested in descriptions of the Sharps you were able to see and their respective prices if you can recall.

down where i live i don't get the opportunity to see 20 original Sharps in one day.

Thanks,

Hal
Gravity Railroad

Colorado Collectors gun show

Post by Gravity Railroad »

Pete,

I would like to second the motion on Canoe's request for specific info and calibre on any of the original Sharps you saw.

Thanks
Dave
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself." --Thomas Jefferson: 1782.
pete

Post by pete »

Ok this will be the third time I've tried to post a reply and as I got a little lengthy I was kicked off both times and my reply was lost so I'll condense it down. Man that's frustrating. Guns of my interest and focus: Frontier hunting types. Rear sights; Almost all were semi buckhorn with one carbine type on a sporter. Front sights; Blade type most filed very low. Maybe for long range with semi buckhorn. Barrels; Mostly standard heavy with about 3 really heavy ones of those one was half round half octagon. Butt plates; Mostly military style Hart. and Bridg. with 4 being shotgun on Harts. One even had a brass crescent butt. Wood; Mostly regular grade walnut a couple had nicer wood. Calibers; Didn't look as much as I should have. Some Bridgeports were 45-70 and one heavy barrel was 45-110. Saw 1 1869 good shape and it had a longer tube globe sight. Prices $7,000- $10,000, rough ones $4,000. 1869 $25,000. Gotta go before I'm kicked off again. Jeez.