45-110 New target photo - Round 2

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rcasto

45-110 New target photo - Round 2

Post by rcasto »

www.castohealthcare.com/rcasto/99.jpg

Not wanting to do change too many things at once, I weighed my cases (they were all within 1 gr), rechecked my bullet depth and compression and held the rifle tight on the bench.

The five rounds on the left target were not sized and hand seated with no neck tension or any crimp. The vertical string disappeared and my group while not good (3.5" at 100) is half of before.

The five rounds on the right (including the very low hit) were neck sized, expanded with BA expander and no crimp - long vertical string.

Runout was .0015 on these ten rounds.
105 gr Fg - Extremely clean including the cases.
WLR primer

I haven't had enough sun to try the chrono yet.

I'll be adding the other suggestions I've been given. I don't intend to have a load with no neck tension as it is not very practical and I think this rifle will do much better. I just found it odd that the vertical string disappeared with the loose bullets.
RC
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

r ! Would you care to tell us what the rest of the load was ? JAGG
JAGG
RMulhern

Groups

Post by RMulhern »

rcastro

What front sight are you using? Post/pinhead/aperture? And what size...is this bull you're shooting on? :?: :?:
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

Sharpsman,

I am using an 8" bull at 100 yds. I am using the factory silver blade that I blackened and a Riflesmith Mid Tang w/windage.

I was able to shoot the same load today WIITHOUT the forearm on the rifle. What do you know? No stringing. 4 shots in a two inch circle and 1 flyer. I am beginning to think that my forearm may have been a little too tight on the receiver.
RC
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

rcasto, you might have hit the nail right on the head. Someone on this forum, may have been Kirk, said to check the wood to metal at the receiver/forarm. If it's too tight it will affect accuracy. That's a pretty good group, way to go!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter