pan lubing help

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

quaticman

pan lubing help

Post by quaticman »

I bit the bullet, so to speak and am going to give a try at casting my own bullets. I bought a Lyman 457132 bullet mould, casting thermometer and all the other goodies to go along with it. As of yet I don't have a lubrisizer, so will have to pan lube them as cast. Does anyone have a recipe for a good black powder lube that can be applied by pan lubing? I picked up a pound of bees wax today. What else do I need to add to make a good lube?

thanks,

Quaticman
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Do a "search" on here for "lube" and you will get some good ones. I use the one posted by Lee Stone. His lube is good for pan lubing and here is something I tried and it worked pretty good. I "dip" lube. I leave the lube melted, and just dip the bullet in the lube and then set it on wax paper after the excess has dripped off. This works better for me than pan lubeing. The bullets need to be warm so the lube sticks to them better. I finally got a Saeco lubrisizer so I don't "dip" anymore, but it does work and it's supprisingly fast.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good Morning, aqaticman;

If you want to mix your own, there are at least a million recipes. Probably the most dependable and one of the really easy ones is Emmert's lube.

Melt 50 percent bee's wax, 40 percent unflavored Crisco and 10 percent Canola oil. When it's melted, stir it real good and have at it.

Y'all be good.

horsefly