Forearm to Receiver Fit & Accuracy

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rickd

Forearm to Receiver Fit & Accuracy

Post by Rickd »

Kirk. Just curious. I've seen posts referring to forearm wood to receiver fit being too tight causing stringing. Is there an optimal 'gap' (in thousandths) that should exist between the forearm and the receiver? Wood to metal fit is a Shiloh hallmark .. but is there a risk that it can affect accuracy? I would hate to think that I might have to take sandpaper to my (being built as we speak) extra fancy forearm with AAA finish. Or can it just be loosend a bit? Thanks.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Rick, don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. It all depends on the individual piece of wood, and how the gun is stored, and where the new home will be. They leave here with a .005" gap between forearm and receiver, very, very few ever have a problem like you probably read about. I hope this helps every one that may have read this article. Thanks Kirk
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Rickd,

I live here in the extremely humid Louisiana southeast (93% this morning :roll: ) and have had absolutely no problem with the wood on my Hartford. Of course I did get the custom bedding in the forearm and if I don't have it out shooting then the rifle is at home in the A/C. I doubt seriously if you have anything to worry about.
Lee Stone
Rdurk

Post by Rdurk »

Thanks for the response Kirk. Heck twelve months gives you too much time to become a "ballistic hypocondriac". The custom bedding and AAA finish should be excellent safeguards. Rick Durkin.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

You may be referring to a post that I made. I hope if it was it didn't cause you any undue concerns. I know that I saw information here a while back that a tight fitting forearm would or could cause stringing problems. Sorry I mentioned it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Ken, it wasn't so much your post .. which I did read, but an experience I had two weeks ago with a Winchester 94 in 38-55. I was shooting good groups for the first 4-5 shots .. then vertical stringing. I loosened the forearm screw .. and shot a 7 shot clover leaf group. Tightened it .. vertical stringing again. The forearm has a silver plated piece that is secured by a screw and holds the wood forearm. I need to take this silver plated piece down a few thousandths to give the barrel clearance..the bluing was removed and the barrel scratched from the expansion. That's what got me thinking, and Kirk cleared up my concern. Thanks for your input. Rick Durkin