Best color buttstock for hunting?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bulldog

Best color buttstock for hunting?

Post by bulldog »

What is the best color buttstock for hunting? Maybe it depends on what I'm hunting or the place like a forest where a reflection or color might alert the game? Does anyone make interchangable buttstock covers that would cover all situations? How would they work to not slip?
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Bulldog, if you are worried about what color your buttstock is you are either too close to the game animal, or you didn't shoot quick enough. I doubt that buttstock color is anything that would scare off an elk or deer or buffalo. :P :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Bulldog, with a slight amount of reflection, I think that you should choose your buttstock to match your outfit :!: :wink: You will want to insure however that it doesn't clash with your fanny pack and boots. :roll: My wife always asks me when she gets dressed "does this go" :?: "or would this look better :?: " Get together with your hunting partner at least a day before the hunt, and see what he/she thinks :!:

Try to avoid anything too garish, the lighter English walnut goes great out on the plains when the fall wheaten colors are present. During spring and summer when the colors are darker, then American black walnut would be a possible choice. Now California Claro will go with just about anything so don't rule it out :!: :!:

Make sure you don't overlook your hat choice :( :evil: Many's the time I am sure that the wrong choice of hat has ruined what could have otherwise been a productive hunt. Hope this helps you make a reasoned decision. :P :wink: Randy

Sorry Bulldog, just couldn't resist the temptation on this one, it looked like too much fun :!: :!: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Shame on you Poke, ha ha ha ha ha ha. :lol:
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, I know, I know, heh, heh, heh, I just couldn't resist the temptation. I could just see in my mind ol' Bulldog standing there thinking to himself "what color buttstock should I use today?" That's when I just cracked up and started typing. My mouth is the same way my wife says. I don't ever know what is going to come out, but it don't slow me down a bit. I hope Bulldog don't take any offense :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

Ha, Ha, Very Funny Randy et al!!! Guess you haven't seen the new Cabelas catalog with spray on camo paint (white on white for winter?), ear plugs on amplifier boxes to hear a deer at 500yds, infared scopes and cameras to spot in dim light, radar and whatnot like clicking elk horns on a loudspeaker and flapping turkey wings with solar power, and feeders that dribble out bait at perscribed times. Also, radioactive tritium front sights that light up all night long and for years even - just don't carry them in your front pocket. Just thought I'd upgrade and start with the basics like the color of my butt since I always just grabbed the 'ol rifle and headed out the door into the wood patch. However, I figure with all these gadgets the game is getting smarter which is why I can't seem to find them so easy anymore. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, Ha, Ha.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Bulldog, glad to see you have a good sense of humor :lol: I just couldn't resist being a wise ass :oops: All in good fun, Best regards, Randy :)

PS Just don't forget to wear the correct hat :!:
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Absolutely, all in fun. But to answer your question, my answer would be the prettiest Missouri Walnut you can afford. They've been making gunstocks out of it for hundreds of years and it's still the best. :roll:
Shiloh Rules!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, I would love to see some of that Walnut :!: Do you have any pictures of it :!: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Omaha Poke, just look at any Shiloh, that's where Kirk gets his walnut for stocks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Hey, Winchester didn't get most of their walnut from Iowa for nothing. Better stuff is up north of Missouri a ways :)

The last stick I bought was from Cecil Fredi. If you want good wood for a great price, he is a real good person to check out. There are many others and I have websites for most of them, but Fredi is my choice.

[url]http://www.gunstockblanks.com/[/url]
Brent
Todd Birch

Designer Wood for gunstocks and gadgets

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey, a whole new marketing venture - designer wood for gun stocks! Takes the camo synthetic to new levels - Realtree, eat your heart (wood) out!
I've got two identical Remington 788s in .308, my "meat guns". One was kinda beat up when I got it, the other pristine.
I had a pal glass bed both and gave him a can of granite gray speckle texture finish to apply. They look like aftermarket synthetics, have a good tactile feel and if I scratch 'em, a quick spritz makes 'em beautiful again.

This stuff comes in any colour you can imagine - pink, turquoise.....the mind boggles ...... a top of the line Shiloh product with a sprayed on textured finish......NOT!!!

I'm waitin' for the gadget that will not only locate the game, but activate the trigger when the hold and sight picture are perfect. You know, eliminate the variable - ME!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

stock

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

stock color could be important but way down on the hunting list.. first is scent then movement.. your silloett is very important that you dont have something behind you that breaks up your human form.. now if youj have a bright color stock, are waving it arround, smoke, dont know what way the wind is blowing, stand on top of open ridges, order your shilo with loooong range tang sights.. (:<). dave..
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

Dave, funny you mention it 'cause I used to do just that. Goin bear hunting I would sit on a ridge where I could see both way, light up my pipe with Sail and uncork the Kentucky whiskey. Sure got my pants scared off by rustling in the bushes, but was usually a squirrel or shrew or something almost too small to see in the dry leaves. Don't remember ever much seeing a bear but sure like doing it.
Hunting deer was the same cept I'd sit up on the side of a hill above a trail with my back to a tree to disguise myself. Loved doing that too. To actually shoot something my luck was best about before evening at the edge of the corn field and woods. Or near the apple trees. Them was the days when I only had an old beat up 30-30. Now that I can buy what I want I suppose I could get a camo-scented blind with one way windows, heaters and those cd video players and piped sound, and vicinity alert alarms but just doesn't appeal to me squatting in a smelly hut watching Brtittney Spears dance till a deer show up. Sos, was thinking bout improving my look . I think I do like the idea of Missouri walnut best = my guns always had straight grain plain mostly. Gray speckle would be okay for shotguns and ducks, i guess. I bet twisty premo grade with burls might do it as well as anything and look interesting too. I always like those burl pipes. Got nuthin else to spend it on much at my age sos Im looking around. Heck, with a 2k gun why not a great butt? I also like black walnut but just hadn't thought about it. The scent will just have to wait else I'll look opposite downwind as I sure ain't wearing some parfumes you can buy or those clothes soaked in them! And I aint stopping to sip whiskey either. I don't wash my boots either, cept the soles.
Hey, I don't disown the 30-30 or have anything again it. I know it can kill a griz cause they done it I read and in Alaska too. And a Buffalo too. Only I don't want to try it these days. I like this big smoking boom and 500 grain bullet thatel go 1000yds and you can stick your finger through the hole. Nuff said for now and anyway I threw the huntin catalog in the library donation box before I threw up for sure. Can you believe it? Bullets called firebirds and silent somethings and things like that for sale. What happened to pride and fair game? Sorry I made this so long. B.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Absolutely Bulldog, right on!!!!
Shiloh Rules!!