How many places to hunt "wild" bison?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

PanaDP

How many places to hunt "wild" bison?

Post by PanaDP »

How many places can you hunt wild healthy populations of bison on large tracts of land? I know it must exist but every video I've watched of a "buffalo hunt" is really just some guys walking or driving a truck up close to a herd that is clearly comfortable with their presence, they stand around a bit (one video they even cracked open a beer), and they shoot an animal from 30 or 40 yards and then celebrate a lot. I know bison aren't the smartest things and they're probably not going to be skittish like pronghorns but it just seems awfully unsporting.
-Chris
Wyoming Roughrider

Re: How many places to hunt "wild" bison?

Post by Wyoming Roughrider »

Chris,

Wyoming is one place. My wife shot one just this year. Nice big bull. It was a real hunt. We were on our 6th day of hunting when we finally got close enough to get a shot at one. It is a draw hunt. We were on Forest Service land North of Jackson Hole. Missed your chance for this year; but, you can apply next year.

Roger
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Alaska.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

There is a great book called "American Buffalo" by Steven Rinella. A major part of the book is the author's hunt for a buffalo in Alaska. True story! Book available thru Amazon. - Mike Johnson
PanaDP

Post by PanaDP »

Thanks, guys. You've given me some good places to start looking.
-Chris
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

I can second that recommendation on the book. Just finished it. Good luck on your hunt selection.
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR