Use of a wad

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dm3280

Use of a wad

Post by dm3280 »

I am some what confused. I have read many posts and books talking about using a wad of some sort between the bullet and the powder. Some even just use a piece of wax paper. Why use a wad at all? What does it do? I can understand using some sort of divider between the bullet and a grease cookie but if I am just loading for hunting and do not want or need a grease cookie does a wad really help? With my simple mind I would think that is one more thing that could cause a bad shot. When the powder ignites and the gases of the burning powder puch the bullet down the barrel isn't there a chance of the wad sticking to the base of the bullet? Even for just a few yards down range. If the wad is stuck to the bullet I would think that could cause the rotation of the bullet to be off center or cause a drag on one side of the bullet all of which would cause fliers. Besides, if I want a hunting load removing the wad would allow a little more powder.
Has anyone used loads without a wad and had better success than with a wad? When I say no wad I mean nothing between the bullet and powder. :?:
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

This is what a wad supposedly does; prevents melting of the bullet base, seals the bore, prevents gas erosion of the bullet and prevents lube from migrating into the powder charge. In my experience the powder burn comes no where near melting the bullet base. The bullet base is just not subjected long enough to the fire. This might be true with the longer cases as my experience is with 45-70. I use milk carton wads which when retrieved down range show no signs of fire damage! By the way, the milk carton wads if you want to try them must have crisp edges with absolutely no fraying.
IMO, a wad might help seal gases with a poor fitting sh_tty bullet and prevent gas erosion especially if its a hard alloy. IMO a good hi quality bore fitted bullet of the right alloy and bumb is all thats needed for gas sealing.
That leaves us with lube migration into the powder charge which could change the burning charactoristics of the powder. Rather than going wadless, some use a waxpaper wad with claimed succes. The waxpaper wad as the theory goes, will hasten lube migration and possibly keep fouling/lube from adhering to the base. I been meanin to try them myself but the weather isn't cooperating.
Yes a wad adhering to the base will cause a big disappointment. Place at least one newspaper wad between the bullet base and any wad your using. I use two for insurance.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

DM# ! Thats why your supposed to put a newsprint paper between the wad and the bullets base ! So that the wad doesn't stick to the bullets base ! JAGG
JAGG
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

dm,
I re-read your post and see your concerned about wads to use with hunting loads - don't know how i missed that. For target loads, IMO, the thinner the wad the better assuming a hi quality bullet with a flawless base and well fitted to the bore. This is where i think the waxpaper wad evolved from. A wax paper wad should be used strictly in a target load and also be used as soon as possible. A waxpaper wad won't be very effective in preventing powder contamination from hot bullet lube and most important from moisture, especially with loose neck tensions.
Both lube and moisture contamination will change the burn charactoristics of the powder. Because of this, I personally would not use waxpaper or no wad at all for a hunting load. A hunting round should be immune to moisture and not have bullets working loose. A veggie or plastic wad and tighter neck tensions, possibly even a crimp would make a better hunting round.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!