Input on choosing a lighter rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rcasto

Input on choosing a lighter rifle

Post by rcasto »

I need another rifle. Need meaning want.
I would like another another rifle, however I would like one
that I could ease my girlfriend into shooting so that she can be
hooked on Shilohs as well. She has only recently began to shoot by
using my Cooper varmint .223 and has done quite well from the bench.
It is offhand shooting that she has trouble holding the heavier rifles. There was a #1 Sporter with 30" standard bbl at our local store that was too heavy.

I'll never push anyone to shoot something they don't want to shoot, but I'd like to have it around just in case. Also, if it doesn't work out, I have another rifle.

I was thinking of a Saddle rifle in 38-55 with a 26 or 28" standard half.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
RC
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

I like the 38-55 in a lever action but then I weigh 270 and recoil from most rifles is tolerable. For a really lightly built gal a slip on rubber recoil pad for the rifle butt or a SASS leather lace on boot should make the 38-55 easy to shoot. Rbump
Josh A.

Rifle weight

Post by Josh A. »

Rcasto, I have got an LRE that has a standard half barrel that I had cut down to 27". It doesn't have a pewter tip, chambered in 40-70ss and it weighs just under 10 pounds. I doubt a saddle rifle is going to weigh any less. Unless a woman has pretty good upper body strength, I think it would be tough to handle offhand.

About the only Shiloh I can see being near light enough for most slightly built women would be the military carbine.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
RMulhern

Lighter rifle

Post by RMulhern »

Josh A.

Well....most of the women what come into the place I drink coffee every morning could pick up a 105 Field Howitzer.....and shoot it offhand!!

Yes sir...these "girls" be KORNFED!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Perhaps the length of pull is even more important than the caliber/recoil. Most rifles being built today have a LOP around 14 inches. This is way too much for most gals, who would do much better with 12 to 12 1/2 inches.

This would require ordering a special rifle, but hey, she's worth it. The 34-40 Krag loaded with light loads of smokeless powder and a cast lead bullet would fit the bill perfectly.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

guns are personal.. take her to a huge gun store, and with your help let her pick one.. before you buy it find one a freind has for her to shoot if at all possible.. go to a coyboy action shoot and let her trysome of thier levers.. 45 llong colt may be a good compromise.. if she doesnt like recoil i wonder what a sharps carbine in 45 long colt would be like . alot of money probably for a 50 yard gun, but mayb e what a ladywould like.. its summer comming up,some women like sleveless shirts, and a black and blue shoulder may keep her off the shooting range in the future.. i dont know about teaching women to shoot, but with kids , just a hint of holding them back brings them on the run.. seems like the 223 is a good gun for starters tho..it will be hard to beat. take your time, and be sure of what your getting for her. good luck dave..
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Lighter rifles kick more than heavier rifles do but I think it is more important to have a rifle that will fit her than it is to pick a light caliber. I think I would select a shotgun butt for sure and either have it cut to a custom pull length at the factory or have a smith whack some off and put a soft pad on for her. It would be a shame not to let her enjoy a black powder cartridge and I think with the proper fitting stock she could handle a 40-65 quite well and have a really nice accurate rifle to boot!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good Morning, rcasto;

One thing that is easy to overlook is that weight distribution is as important (maybe more so) as total weight. A well balanced gun without excess barrel weight is easier to hold than a lighter weight gun with too much on the front end.

I started my wife shooting and she said the gun was too heavy to hold. So I cut three inches off of the barrel. She said it was better, but still too heavy. I put a pound of lead in the butt. She said it was better, but still too heavy. I put another pound of lead in the butt. She said it was lighter yet.

Point being.... it's not just the weight that makes it too heavy!

Y'all be good.

horsefly
JackInZoar

Post by JackInZoar »

I wrote shiloh asking about a shorter LOP , havent heard back yet ,, I'm in that strange position of short and light , but basicly impervious to recoil ,, last summer I shot 60 rounds of 458 WM ,, here in western NY we have to hunt deer with shotguns ,, my fave is a h&r 12ga @ 4.75 lb
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

RC

I have a saddle rifle in 50/70 with a heavy barrel that weighs just over 10 pounds. I'm 6'1", 200 lbs and really would not want a lighter rifle in that caliber. I also received this spring, a Shiloh 1874 military carbine in 30/40. Shooting 11 grains of Unique and a 160 grain lead bullet, there is very little recoil from the 8 pound rifle. I know it's not a traditional black powder rifle but it's a lot of fun to shoot with no clean up later.

I would have preferred a military carbine in 38/55 but Shiloh only makes them in the 30/40, 40/65, 45/70 and 50/70. If you want a traditional BP gun, you might get the 40/65 and load light smokeless loads or 350 grain bullets with FG powder for less recoil.

Either caliber, I can recommend the military carbine.

Rich