New To Sharps Shooting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

KenSt

New To Sharps Shooting

Post by KenSt »

I am brand new to the Sharps Rifle concept. I looked at the Sharps Rifles at the NRA convention in Denver several years ago, and have not lost the bug to get one. Been doing some M1 Garand shhoting recently. I plan on purchasing a Shiloh Sharps soon but I am clueless. I do know that I will go with 45-70 and be doing some competition shooting, no hunting. I will probably get a tang sight setup. Beyond that I am eager to learn. I have been reading some of the posts and noticed a book mention by someone named Venturino. Where can I get this book and how do I proceed with educating myself so I do this the right way? Your opinions are valued!
Aim Twice, Shoot Once.
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Go to Buffalo arms web site, They carry this book, also you may as well set up an account with them because if you are like me it seems like you make monthly payments to them :lol:

They have all the toys

http://www.buffaloarms.com/
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Or, you can get the book directly from Mike himself from his website here:

http://www.ycsi.net/users/mlventurino/
Lee Stone
abenson

Post by abenson »

KenSt I'm also a newbie to Sharps, will probably order next week. Any I just finished the book, it's titled "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" by Mike Venturino. Very good reading; broad coverage of lots of topics and not restricted to Sharps rifles.

As was pointed out you can get it from several sources including Venturino's site and this site right here. You have to call Shiloh to order it though, they don't have online ordering.
A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone.

Sporter #3 in .45-70 w/ 30" standard weight barrel, semi-fancy wood w/AA finish, pewter tip, steel buttplate and bone & charcoal pack finish.
HvyMtl

Searching for wisdom

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi guys

I'm also new, I've been shooting a few months now. Make sure you don't overlook the books by Paul A. Matthews, Wolfe Publishing. If anyone is interested I ended up duplicating an order of two of the books.

Shooting the Black Powder cartridge rifle.
Loading the Black Powder rifle cartridge.

Ken
steve witt

Post by steve witt »

KenSt- I think you are in luck. It appears you are in the Des Moines, Ia area. Iowa has a fairly strong base of BPCR with several "long range" matches right in the DM area put on by the Fort Des Moines Rangers a NCOWS cowboy shooting club. In fact they are having a match June 13. There web site is www.fortdesmoinesrangers.org Also the Ackley, Iowa, about 130 miles from DM, CVR Regulators put on several Buffalo and Long Range shoots each year . Best Regards steve witt