Need input about selecting a Paul Jones Mould

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

cgdavid

Need input about selecting a Paul Jones Mould

Post by cgdavid »

I'm planning on calling Paul Jones Moulds and ordering a mould in the very near future. Plan on discussing this with them but thought some of you might have ideas.

This bullet will be used for informal mid to long range shooting with black and some smokless. I'll use a fair amount of WW lead but plan on using lead/tin alloys later on .

Any recomendations or suggestions?

(Below are four options I have in mind.)
--------------------------------------------------------
540g Creedmoor Semi- Spitzer
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45002.jpg
Reasoning: Close to the 457132 I currrently have. May be easier to cast than the last two.
540g Creedmoor Semi- Spitzer Slightly customized (if they'll do it this way)
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45002.jpg
Have them remove the front grease groove and make it bore-riding like the 510g Long Bore Ride Spitzer Three Grease Groove.
Reasoning: May be easier to cast than the last two. More powder room.
525g Spitzer
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45012.jpg
Reasoning: Pointy - might be better out at longish ranges.
510g Long Bore Ride Spitzer Three Grease Groove
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45013.jpg
Reasoning: Pointy. More bullet in the bore resulting in more powder capacity.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

cgdavid, I just got the 45001 and the 45002 moulds from Paul. The 02 has the front driving band reduced so it can be seated out farther into the rifling. Either of these bullets would work well for what you want to shoot. Paul will talk you through it, very knowledgable. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

cgdavid, I was asking the same question to Paul a year and half ago. The 45002 looked more aerodynamic to me but he said he recommended the 45001 to most folks to begin with. I wound up getting this 45001 and have not regretted it. Interestingly after much experimentation with different bullets, cases, powders etc, a Lyman Postell shoots best in my gun but the 45001 is a close second. PJ's bullets beat others easily however in the looks department-damn things look like mercury when freshly minted. Talk to him about it, he is an enjoyable guy to talk to and I learned something everytime I spoke with him.
Al

Post by Al »

cgdavid, I have a 570gr smerker mould from paul jones. My 45-90 likes that bullet alot. I could send you some to try if you would like. Lee Stone got me hooked on that bullet when I was searching for a new mould about a year ago.
cgdavid

Post by cgdavid »

Sorry for the delay getting back.

Thanks for the info. It's given me better perspective. Sounds like Paul is easy to talk with. Hope I get a chance to call Paul soon.

Randy - Sounds like the 45002 is a good bullet for experimenting with powder charge variations and compresion variations by moving the bullet in-and-out and the bullet remaining in contact with the rifling. This is definetly something to concider.

Tasmanian Rebel - Although I haven't shot the 457132's enough to form a solid opinion, they work well at short range (100yrds.) They appear to like smokeless (with SPG) too. I'm not locked into my above ideas so th 45001 sounds like it is a good one to concider.

Realized that I didn't say that this bullet is for a 45-70 when Al mentioned the 570 gr bullet in a 45-90. Al, is 570 gr a lot of weight for a 45-70? Think I can get enough powder behind it to push it at a respectible rate? As soon as work lets up again, I'll pm you about getting a few to try. Thanks much for the offer!
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Cgdavid, When ordering your mould remember that there can be substantial differences in bullet diameter between lead/tin alloys and lead/tin alloys containing antimony. Most BP rifles like bullets at groove diameter or groove diameter +.001. Rbump
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

I might try a Paul Jones mould someday but for right now I am so happy with my Steve Brooks moulds that I will continue down that path.

What I liked about Steve was I called him, He told me what he needed to know in order to make the "perfect" mould for my gun, I slugged the barrel, measured twist etc. and gave this info to him and the moulds he sent me work great.

I think you should call Paul Jones, I am sure he would work with you in the same manner Steve has worked with me and may have additional insight as Steve did due to his talking to a large number of shooters with a larger number of different rifles, calibers etc.
Al

Post by Al »

cgdavid, I've never tried 570's in my 45-70, but try them in yours with different powders (3f, 2f...etc) swiss and goex, you may find a good combo.