Some final decisions to make...ordering next week!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

abenson

Some final decisions to make...ordering next week!

Post by abenson »

Well I just finished reading Venturino's book and thanks to that and the advice I've gotten here I'm pretty much ready to order. Just a few details to work out and some questions for the Shiloh folks when I call on Wednesday.

First off I've decided to go with the .45-70 instead of a 45-110 or 50-90. I know I made a lot of noise in my first post about not wanting something so 'plain', but frankly I'm a little intimidated by reloading black powder. Between the book and comments here, it sounds like the 45-70 is easiest to get started with. And, if I never get the hang of it well, at least I'll be able to shoot smokeless :oops:

Next is sights; I'm still not sure what to do here. As previously stated this will be mostly a hunting and informal target gun. There aren't any BPCR matches in my immediate future, though there will be eventually. I plan on ordering a full buckhorn rear and blade front sight, but what do you guys think of the tang sights? I don't really want to spend the extra money on one of the MVA sights right now. Assuming I do get a tang sight, which arrangement would you recommend given the rifle's main purpose? Regarding the front sight, can a tang work with just a blade or do you have to have one of those hooded globe sights? Are the changeable apertures worthwhile? Also, and this is a dumb novice question, it looks like the tang sight can be driven into your hand during recoil. Is this a big problem?

Guess that's it for now, the sight arrangement is my big sticking point. The rifle will be a Sporter #3 with a standard weight octogon barrel. Gonna spend the rest of the weekend finalizing the 'extras' I want :) then I plan on calling Wednesday to order...WOOHOO!

-Adrian
A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone.

Sporter #3 in .45-70 w/ 30" standard weight barrel, semi-fancy wood w/AA finish, pewter tip, steel buttplate and bone & charcoal pack finish.
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Abenson:

Since you are ordering an expensive custom rifle, that you will have to wait for, some advanced planning will really pay off for you.

First of all, consider carefully the length of pull that fits you best. This is probably not the same as your favorite scope mounted model 70. Note that the distance from your eye to the tang sight is critical, and not the same for everyone. If you can't see thru the sights very well, you won't shoot well. You can always move your 3x9 scope fore and aft to fit your vision, but the tang sight is fixed. If at all possible, handle some rifles first, before you order.

It would be a shame to wait a long time for a nice rifle and then not be satisfied.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Adrian, glad you decided to get the 45-70. It is an extremely versatile caliber and as you said an easy cartridge to load. I heard recently from a knowledgible friend that Quigley has been won by more 45-70's than all other calibers combined and this match is shot to just over 800 yds. Agree with what 8iowa is saying. I have slightly wider shoulders than normal and REAL long arms yet the standard #1 or#3 sporter has a little longer pull that I'm comfortable with and my next gun from Shiloh will have a 13 3/4 " pull. You need to check out what he's talking about. I'm positively no expert at shooting game with these guns but I know some people who are who say the sights that come on the gun are perfectly adequate for hunting or casual target shooting. Someone who may be able to help you about the tang sight question related to hunting may be the poster here who goes by Josh A. You might want to PM him as he hunts something with these guns on a nearly weekly basis yearound.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I have a Shiloh Sporter #1 in 45-70 and I've never considered it "plain vanilla". It is one hell of a fine shooting rifle, I've shot deer with it and shot NRA silhouette with it, it does it all. The reason there are so many 45-70s around is that it is such a great calibre. RCBS has a list of most reloading dies sold, the 45-70 is in the all time top ten. There's a reason for that. I think you made a very good and wise decision. ENJOY!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
abenson

Post by abenson »

Hmm interesting point about the length of pull vs. using the tang sight, I wouldn't have thought of that. The rule of thumb I've always used in determining correct lop is to measure from the inside of the elbow to the second knuckle on the index finger; on me this measurement is 14.5"...no idea what Shiloh's 'standard' length of pull is, but it's on my list of questions to ask now.

Unfortunately it isn't likely I'll be able to handle any samples before I place my order.
A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone.

Sporter #3 in .45-70 w/ 30" standard weight barrel, semi-fancy wood w/AA finish, pewter tip, steel buttplate and bone & charcoal pack finish.
N2

Post by N2 »

Adrian - I don't know about you, but I typically hunt wearing a coat. I specify a 14¼" LOP for my rifles. Since I usually wear a thin recoil pad in my shirt when shooting in competion the shorter LOP still works for me.

I would suggest you go with the semi-buckhorn rear sight as opposed to the buckhorn. The buckhorn covers up to much of the animal I'm shooting at. I would also suggest you order the #1 heavy barrel. It's heavier to carry when hunting, but it balances much better than the standard weight barrel and it will absorb recoil, not that the 45-70 will be all that bad.

Even without the heavy barrel you won't have to worry about the tang sight being driven into your hand should you choose to mount one. My 50-90 doesn't force the tang into my hand, your 45-70 won't either.

It's not that hard to make a blade sight and a globe front sight easily interchangeable. Just install a set screw in each of them (most globes already have this feature) and a small divot in the dovetail to hold them in place. You may have to reduce the length of the sight bases ever so slightly, but it works. FWIW, a copper blade works much better under any light condition for me. If it's to dark to see the copper, it's to dark to shoot.

Don't forget to have the forend bedded ($45) by Shiloh and if you want an inexpensive way to dress your rifle up go with the brass escutcheons ($25).

Your choice of a 45-70 is sound, but I personally don't find the 45-90 to be any more troublesome to load for than a 45-70. It's about another 75-100 fps with the same bullet weight. The difference in recoil is minor. Regardless, Shiloh makes a fine product. You'll enjoy your rifle. - Nick
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

I use a .45-90 and consider it a bit more versatile than the .45-70. You might want to think about it. My reason is that with longer bullets that gobble up case capacity you still have room for acceptable amounts of powder and for light bullets the extra powder ups the velocity a bit for superior performance. The .45-90 is 2.4 inches - a mere .300 of an inch longer. An elegant solution for practical recoil and good perfromance.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front