Love my Quigley!!!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gpeak

Love my Quigley!!!

Post by gpeak »

My Quigley arrived a few weeks ago and it is one BEAUTIFUL rifle!
Sadly, my dad passed away 4 days before. He was a D-Day vet who went ashore in the first assault wave on Utah beach. He taught me everything I know about shooting and the outdoors(and lots more!) so this rifle has become a tribute to him and all the great times we had in the woods and fields.
I just had to make this post to give all the folks at Shiloh some well deserved strokes. The rifle was well worth the wait and the kind of loving craftsmanship it represents is a rare thing in this day and age! I have handled other Sharps replicas and none of them can compare.
I will probably be a regular here since even though I have been shooting for 50 years,I have lots to learn about bpcr shooting and there is lots of good stuff here.
Again kudos to the folks at Shiloh Sharps!
Craig

Straight shooting, straight talk.....the mark of a man.
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

My sincere condolances re you dad. I'm sure he would have been proud of the wise investment that you have made.

My own father passed away 20years ago but I have his like new US service rifle given to him by a GI in 1942. Dad was a farmer who used to suppliment his meagre income by loading supplies at the local railway yard and when this GI learned he had a farm and no rifle, well it disappeared from the army inventory in return for some farm fresh chow.

A good rifle is like a diary, it's very presence records all the good times and bad than we experience throughout our lives.
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
gpeak

Post by gpeak »

Thanks for the kind words BA. Sounds like your dad was a pretty special guy too. You are right about rifles being like diaries. Adios
Craig

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

gspeak:

My condolences for your loss. Last year I lost my Grandfather/Best Friend, who also taught me to hunt and shoot. He was a WWII Marine.

I am having an Engraved Harford made in his honor for our family to keep.

Regarding your latest aquisition, I have a Quigley ordered, that before long I will be sending in a final payment. (Next couple of months from what I can tell) Anyway, how was yours decked out? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
gpeak

Post by gpeak »

Texas Shooter:
Thanks for your comments . What better way to commemorate the life of a couple of old soldiers!
The only mod I made to my Quigley was the bone & charcoal pack case hardening. The colors are great (and authentic) and seem a little more subtle than the standard case color but that is just my perception. Other than that I have added several coats of tung oil and wax to give the forend and stock a soft patina. I dont care for a gloss finish and the tung oil is relatively easy to do and is what Shiloh uses. It is also easy to add extra coats if/when needed. You will be really pleased when you get your Hartford. The fit and finish of the Shiloh is superb and the action is silky smooth. I have fired a friends Italian Sharps and there is no comparison. My Dad always said buy the best you can afford and you will never have any regrets and if you have to wait to buy the best... wait. He was right all the way!
Good luck and good shooting.
Craig