Vernier Soule Sites -Browning/AMT

Post by crazeyiven »

Is anyone familiar with these sights?

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/appl ... ords=soule

Thanks

David
bubba

Post by bubba »

These are the same sight sets that came standard with the Browning 1885 BPCRs. While they're probably not in the same class as the MVAs or Baldwins, they are pretty good sights for the price.
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Does anyone know how these compare with the Davide Pedersoli sights?

Thanks

David
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

They were/are OEM on my 2 Browning BPCRs. Based on my experience & from I observed, I think that they are superior to Pedersolli.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Gentlemen,

Do any of you have some indication of how the Browning sight compares to the MVA sights? I have a Browning sight on their hi-wall rifle, but the staff wobbles to beat the band; about 3/8" from front to back and about 3/16" or so from side to side. I have a hard time believing this is conducive to precision shooting, although I can't really detect any significant loss of precision.

I have had the sight completely apart, and can find no way to tighten up the staff to reduce the wobble. I finally put a brass shim between the base and the staff, and that solved that problem. However, it is impossible to adjust for windage without removing the shim.

Your thoughts?

Regards
Frank

Post by Frank »

ironramrod
I bought my Browning BPCR in Jan of 1996 and had the same problem you are talking about. I called Browning and they had me send the sight to their repair shop in Missouri and when it came back it was and still is as good or better than most sights. I have Baldwin and MVA sights on Shilohs and will say they are better but the Browning is very good.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Smokin

Tang sights

Post by Smokin »

Gentlemen,

I, too, have a Browning BPCR and have noticed the vagaries of imprecise machining in my sight. I don't know what is the asking price for the AMT sight. OK, now I do. I'm not impressed with the wiggles in my Browining sight and think that for that money, better are available, e.g., the Ukranian made Parts Unknown Soule. It does have graduations that enable it to be adjustable to a tenth of a point in both elevation and windage, which is finer than any of the competition. The MVA, Baldwin, Kelley, and Hoke sights are in another league. My personal preference lies with the Hoke sight, which is not a Soule pattern sight at all - being of the Remington Hepburn persuasion. I find its windage markings easier to read. My opinion is that the Pedersoli sight is a sow trying to make it in a finely toned dance line. The pork can't shake it with the svelte.
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Ted Kramer

Browning sight wiggle problem

Post by Ted Kramer »

Smokin-A good friend of mine, William Young, bought a Browning BPCR and the issue sight was a wiggler too. Russ Denekamp fixed it for him and it's now as tight as it should be. I have no idea how Russ fixed it, but it worked. Ted K
Bill C.

Post by Bill C. »

Does anyone there have a website address for AMT?

I've seen it before, but can't find it through any search engines!

I know it's out there!
Bill C.-Shooting Birds in Oregon
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Gentlemen,

In late April I asked all of you some questions re: the excessive free play of the sight staff on a Browning 1885 BPCR. Typical groups would run about 3" or so at 100 yards; not good. However, it would shoot just enough good groups periodically to make me think it was a shooter problem rather than an equipment problem.

I took your advice, contacted Browning and mailed it into them for repairs. I got it back on 1 Jun 04, and from the looks of it they replaced quite a few pieces at no cost, and it is really tight now. No movement at all in either direction. Had a chance to get out this afternoon for awhile and try it out. After a couple of fouling shots I got serious and shot a few for group at 100 yards; the first 3 shots made a nice 3 cornered cloverleaf on the target. Of course I managed to open up the group to about 1.5" with some more shots. Nevertheless, the sight and the resulting performance is vastly improved from what it was when I sent it to Browning. I will need to do a lot more shooting to really give a good test, but the initial results are certainly encouraging.

If you have one of the Browning sights, and the sight staff is a wiggler like mine was; I would certainly encourage you to send to them for repairs. If my experience is any indication, your shooting precision will likely improve exponentially.

Regards
Smokin

tang sight wiggles

Post by Smokin »

ironramrod,

Thank you for the information on the Browning repairs on their tang sight. I will take your advice and send mine along to John Moses' namesakes to see what they can do to make it young again. Whether it can improve my shooting is another matter. It may pull a shot or two out of the dirt, but exponential improvements are sweet dreams at best. :)

Thanks for the info,
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Guys - I bought one of the standard Pedersoli sights for my Pedersoli 1874 replica. It was OK for up/down adjustments, but had the annoying and inaccurate sliding disc windage adjustment. I sent it off to Lee Shaver for the "Soule Conversion" (about $100) and he did a great job.