45-70 vs 45-90-vs 45-110

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

KenSt

45-70 vs 45-90-vs 45-110

Post by KenSt »

I am not familiar with black powder cartridges. I am considering a 45-70 but if I got a 45-90 or 45-110 could I load it down to 45-70 velocities by using a filler? That way I would have the 90 or 110 when I wanted it and avoid the heavy recoil when I headed to the range. The only BP I have fired is a muzzle loader so a BP cartridge is new to me.
Aim Twice, Shoot Once.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

What are you going to use the rifle for?? It would make a difference in the answers you will get. Most say get the -70 first, and thats what I did. It was a good choice to learn BPCR reloading with. Now I'm going to get a 50-70 for hunting. Just take a couple of nights and read all the post on this forum. :lol:
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Jimilner4570

Post by Jimilner4570 »

KenSt
You will find that there is as much difference between Muzzlodr and BPCR as there is between Smokless and Muzzldr. BPCR will differ from smokless by about the same amount. Go with the 4570, learning curve is shorter, and you can have it punched out to a longer case if that suits your fancy. Go to some matches, the shooters are more than willing to let you try their baby.
At a Match in Nisqually, The first one at that range, a man who was there just to watch was given the opportunity to shoot at 500 yds. He touched off one round, hit the ram, looked over his shoulder and said "I AM IN TROUBLE NOW !!!!!
Jim Milner Trigger Dr
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

KenSt:

I have an Axtell 1877 Sharps on order in 45-90, with a standard weight 34 inch barrel. My rifle will weigh 10 lbs. I'm going to do some hunting with it and that's about as much weight as I want to carry around, especially at high altitude. I have not completely given up on the 45-100 (2.6inch) but I'm concerned that the recoil would be excessive for a long day on the target range.

The 45-110 is too much recoil for me. I've been there - done that with my 300 Magnum. You might also consider that the 45-110 has a loaded over all length of around 3.750, which might be longer than your loading press can accomodate.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"