Picked up a new hunting knife.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Picked up a new hunting knife.

Post by mdeland »

I lost my hunting knife in the surf while dip netting salmon this summer and just happen to see what I was looking for at the Sportsman's Warehouse the other day. It's a Buck and made in the USA. I'm sure it will give purist heart burn but it has just the right shape in handle and blade I prefer. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, I had a Buck years ago and lost it as well on a hunt. The knives hold and edge better than any other production blade I have ever used but also take some work to sharpen when they do dull up.
I still use the old Lansky for reshaping the edge but mostly a steel for straightening the edge when needed.
I have been using a Bolt action, removable bladed Gerber for the last ten years or so that works well but it takes me a half hour to get all the fat and meat out of the cracks in the folding handle after the butcher job is over.
This knife will clean up in a flash and I like the checkered polycarbonate handle for gripping when it gets covered with fat and gore.
I have found that moose hair usually dulls up a knife fairly fast as it is always covered with grit on the belly and inside of the legs.
I like the drop point for opening the hide from the underside with my index finger used as a guide up against the back side of the point for unzipping the inner legs and belly.
The drop points work pretty good for popping the ball joint in the rear quarters as well although they are to big for doing bear knuckles and turning goat and sheep lips, eye lids and ears. I like a pin knife or scapulae for that job.
I'm anxious to see how well the new knife works so hope to try it out perhaps this winter if I can get in a late season snow machine hunt some where. MD
coureur de bois

Re: Picked up a new hunting knife.

Post by coureur de bois »

I have lots of knives, but I have to admit I have a Buck just like that one except that it has the gut hook. It is my favorite knife and the only one I use anymore. I also use it for skinning, and have been using it for the past 5 years now and have never had to sharpen it yet and the grip never gets slippery. I admit the gut hook is starting to dull a bit, but it will get a sharpening this fall before she goes out again for some major gutting and skinning! :D
"Excuse me, I'm new here, so I ain't rightly certain, is everybody in this country as ....."

"God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruleing the world."
Brent

Post by Brent »

Buck knives are among my favorites. I like the looks of that one just fine.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Yep, nice classic style. As to utility, you use your knives so really know -as does Brent, no doubt. Many of us have them as lookers. In fact, got me to thinking where was my big old folding Buck knife. Wasn't in drawer. Wife says it is at cabin - she uses it more than me - to cut carrots and cabbage :) It never gets dull which really speaks lots.
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32
fatbelly

Post by fatbelly »

Just out of interest I just ordered this particular knife to add to my collection. Its very reasonably priced which makes me a little suspicious but it is made in the UK in the county where I used to live so I'm comforted some by that. It says mammoth bone handled :D
Well it is worth a punt just to see what it's really like. :)

They are a small company making one off knives, so the one in the picture is the one you get.

Here's the link if anyone is interested http://www.perkinknives.com/index.asp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I had a dream ... but I forgot what it was about!
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Does anyone know the size/specs of Matthew Quigley's knife?
Thanks.
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

I agree with Smokeater,Buck is a fine company that is proud to announce that their senior partner is the Lord.

I spoke with Chuck Buck the other week at the BLADE Show in Atlanta,as always,he is a fine,polite gentleman who will give you his undivided attention when you are talking with him.

Buck has a great "forever" warranty.

Kind of interesting to see that they basically returned to their "roots" probably near the church where they first started out many years ago.

The best of luck with that fine knife!!

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Bad news. Found the folding knife that always stays sharp. Turns out it is a Schrade Old Timer with 1/4" now missing off the main blade tip. Guess the Buck was the one I lost when I foolish threw it and never could locate it after. These days I would ask St. Anthony to help out in the search, but in those days I figured I could do it alone. Wrong :D
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Bad Bill,
Up until July 2005,you could send that Olde Timer back to Shrade and they would repair it for you at a very modest charge. They went bankrupt after that and now their products are basically produced "off shore".

Best now spend a few bucks and get a nice Buck knife of your choice. A few years ago,a number of them were made elsewhere but now they have made great strides in getting everything made here in Post Falls,ID.If it has USA on the blade,it is made here.
Let us know what you get.
Top Dog
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

The Old Timer is a 250t with a second large blade. When I get around to it I'm sure a grinding wheel will 'fix' the broken tip of the main blade. It's good to know that Buck is making them in the USA and in Post Falls! I've got a lumberjack buddy that lives there but he's getting too old for the woods. 55 and still cutting trees. He sharpens chainsaw blades so might have skills Buck could use.
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Bad Bill,
Be sure to take your time grinding that blade down to keep it cool and not destroy the temper of the steel.

I would have recomended getting a Case knife but last year they announced that a tactical series of their knives were being made in.....China.

This is from a company that long and loud proclaimed their made in USA policy!! As a result,there was a long and loud cry from all the Case collectors and I think that the company is quietly backtracking on the deal.

I saw their display at the BLADE Show two weeks ago in Atlanta,and the "China" knives were on display,but far back and away from the main group.

The CEO of Case suddenly announced his retirement,usually that indicates it was suggested that he leave.

BEAR MFG of Alabama is 100% USA made and offers a lot of nice knives too if you are interested.

Your lumberjack friend in ID is only 55 yrs old and wants to retire??? Heck I know a 93 yr old woman in Jacman,ME that still heats her cabin with the wood she cuts and splits by axe!!! Gets her annual deer each fall with her Model 94, 32 Win.Spl,can't haul the deer out of the woods,and when asked how she does get the deer out,she replied "That's why God invented great grandsons"

Top Dog
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Bill, I broke the tip off my folding Puma Game Warden,( A classic knife) and reground it carefully keeping the tip cool in water, so that you would not know if you didn't have a new one to compare.
I have since lost that knife though and miss it after carrying it for 30 years. MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Top Dog wrote:Bad Bill,
Be sure to take your time grinding that blade down to keep it cool and not destroy the temper of the steel.

I would have recomended getting a Case knife but last year they announced that a tactical series of their knives were being made in.....China.

This is from a company that long and loud proclaimed their made in USA policy!! As a result,there was a long and loud cry from all the Case collectors and I think that the company is quietly backtracking on the deal.

I saw their display at the BLADE Show two weeks ago in Atlanta,and the "China" knives were on display,but far back and away from the main group.

The CEO of Case suddenly announced his retirement,usually that indicates it was suggested that he leave.

BEAR MFG of Alabama is 100% USA made and offers a lot of nice knives too if you are interested.

Your lumberjack friend in ID is only 55 yrs old and wants to retire??? Heck I know a 93 yr old woman in Jacman,ME that still heats her cabin with the wood she cuts and splits by axe!!! Gets her annual deer each fall with her Model 94, 32 Win.Spl,can't haul the deer out of the woods,and when asked how she does get the deer out,she replied "That's why God invented great grandsons"

Top Dog
I'm the one that thinks he should retire (find another job) He thinks he can go forever hefting that big chainsaw. I actually contacted him and he replied that he knew some of the guys at Buck. He got his degree in math around 1974 (we knew each other in college)and has been cutting trees eversince. Lifts weights for sport too.
I know an old lady nearly 90 near me that does the same thing with firewood! Some of those old gals have spunk!
Will keep in mind slow and cool on doing the blade.