Bullet sizing?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

8iowa

My wife never said a thing about lube making in the kitchen , made many a sticks of lube for the sizer which only required the use of a double boiler, it all came crashing down a couple of weeks back . I went and made some lube for my revolvers ( FELIX LUBE ) which requires enough heat to make the ingredientes smoke for half an hour . Ten minutes into the process my wife and son started to make comments about not being able to see well because of the smoke , I opened the windows but that was not satisfactory , lube making was cut short and a comment was made that maybe next time I could do this out side , at least she was polite about it :oops: . One more thing she did not like :shock: it was the melted wax she found on the stove and the floor :cry: I think that sealed it for me.

RR
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it's kinda hard to do outside when the wind chill is like -40 or so!! :D
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Smokin

Dip lubing

Post by Smokin »

For those of you who may want to try dip lubing - which I think is a great way to easily and cheaply lube bullets already at the diameter you like - try melting a modicum of lube in a tuna fish can on a coffe cup warmer. Those heater/warmers are available at many drug type stores (you know, the ones which also sell everything else other than tires). They keep a cup of coffee at drinking temperature, which is just about the perfect point for melting bullet lube without smoking it. The one I have cost me all of $7.95 + that darned sales tax. Good luck from a formerly reformed, now unrepentant, lubaholic.
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

KEN

Windchill in the 40's ?? Now that would be nice to have it that warm !!

Smokin

Have not done any dipping , it just seems it would be messy ?? Might have to try it just to say I did . It's more time consuming doing it through the sizer but the bullets are so clean and neat . Have not done the pan thing either , maybe will have to try that also .

RR
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I shot some pure lead PP bullets form Montanna Bullet works, I thought they really shot great. I may hunt with them if I ever get a -90 or -110.
Shiloh Rules!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Hey Ranger Rick, you need to move to South Texas, it's always warm down here. And the tequilla is gooooooooooooooooooood.
Shiloh Rules!!
Monty

Post by Monty »

Hi,
Thanks for the help, I’ve sent my Lyman 457193 back and hope to get a replacement soon. I’m also going to try a Saeco 500 grn. flat point for hunting.
Monty
John from Bend, Oregon
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Monty, I've been thinking about that mold from Saeco myself. Let us know haw it works out.
Shiloh Rules!!
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Ken

I know about that warm weather yall have down there , I grew up in a town in Texas called Lewisville , just outside of Denton-Fortworth area . I left there in 77 when I was 12 . I think what I miss the most about Texas is the catfish , love those channel cats . I know that I should love the salmon and halibut here !! I do but not as much as the fat cats . Matter of fact I still have about 100 pounds of kings and silvers in the freezer and just as much halibut and the salmon are already running again . I also miss the heat .

RR
Monty

Post by Monty »

Just an update, I ordered the Saeco 500 grn flat point mould and gave it a try. It cast oversized especially at the nose diameter, and the bullets would not chamber in my rifle. Nose diameter went from .450 - .452 depending on alloy used. The .450 would work sort of if I cleaned between shots, so I returned it. I had sent my Lyman 457193 mould back because it was casting way undersized. Lyman returned it having reamed it out. When I tried it out it was better, but still under sized. At this point I got mad and decided to fix the mould myself. I used a dremel tool and a small polishing stone I custom shaped to fit the mould groves. The “stone” is made of rubber with polishing compound in it. I would polish, then cast, polish, cast. Took the better part of a day, but finally have a mould that makes the right sized bullet. It’s not perfect, but my rifle loves it. My groups went from 2 feet down to 2 inches at 100 yards. This is as good as my eyes will let me shoot anyway. I’m putting in an order with Steve Brooks today and hope to have a mould I don’t have to mess with.
Monty
John from Bend, Oregon
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Thanks for the update Monty, I think I will pass on the Saeco mold. I do have a Lyman mold for the 457132 that throws a perfect bullet I think, the nose is .448 and the bands are .459, just about perfect in my humble opinion for my 45-70. I have come to the conclusion that you have though, I'm going to get a Steve Brooks mold for the 50-70 to hunt with and a Paul Jones 540 grain to shoot silhouette in the 45-70.
Shiloh Rules!!
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

RANGER RICK:

I know right where Lewisville, Tx is. I live in Frisco, right next door. If your ever in the area, there is still a mess of those Channel Cat's around in the local restaurants. If I ever get them to eatin size at the "Farm", I'd be happy to treat.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Just come down to Choke Canyon State Park, we catch them by the hundreds. Not all Channels, but cat anyway.
Shiloh Rules!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Quote: " besides a PP in a 45/110 is super cool!!!

keith"

Matthew seemed to like them. :wink:
Lee Stone