butt stock cover pad

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

carlen ritenour

butt stock cover pad

Post by carlen ritenour »

This is my first time using this so I hope it works. My order is coming up very soon and I need to make a decision. I have a 15 1/2" length of pull and would like to order a Quigley. Since shiloh only makes it in a 13 7/8"
pull, I am about 1 1/2" short. Does anyone know of a butt pad cover that is 1 1/2" inches in length.

thanks, carlen ritenour
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Finding a pad that will fit the curvature of the Quigley's military butt plate may be some what of a challenge. You may need to have one specifically made. If I were you, I would contact Buffalo Arms and see if they either have one or could get one made for you that would fit.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/
Lee Stone
carlen ritenour

Thanks,

I have called and talk to them, but maybe I need to go up the chain of command and talk to the owner. I probably need a special one built, if I can't find a solution and will have to go to plan "B" a # 3 either in 45-70 or 50-90 or wait for a heavy 16lb. I can't wait until I get my shiloh sharps. I read this forum almost very day and get jealous of you guys. I have learned alot and have a long way to go. carlen
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Carlen,

I have several of the Rand Elite shoulder shoulder worn recoil shields that Buffalo Arms sells. And I swear by them. That could answer your situation. It could provide the additonal length of pull you are looking for and the curvature of your Quigley's military butt plate would be accomodated. Also, you wouldn't be covering up a portion of a beautiful rifle.

Or, since Buffalo Arms has the should worn recoil shields and the butt pads made, they may be able to have one custom made to fit your Quigley. You may have to pay a custom charge, but it couldn't be too much.
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

If you haven't considered them, take a look at the shoulder worn recoil shields:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,168.html

As I suggested in my previous reply, the should worn recoil shield just might answer your need.
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

"Shoulder worn recoil shield" : darn it I wish I could learn to type and learn to proof read! :oops:
Lee Stone
carlen ritenour

Thanks,

I did not know that Buffalo Arms had them made. I don't mind paying extra for one. I had seen them in their catolog but they were only 1/2 inches. I live in Alaska and this forum is a real God sent for me being so far removed from the lower 48, I real appreciate this forum. Thanks again. carlen
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Carlen,

Talk to Dave, Skip or Cody at Buffalo Arms. All three of them are really good guys and will do everything they can to help you. Dave is the owner, but Skip and Cody also go out of their way to help in anyway they can.

You can not doubt tell that I am a big fan of Buffalo Arms, very much like I am a big fan of Shiloh. And with very good reason.
Lee Stone
carlen ritenour

Dear Lee,

This might be a dumb question, but since I am not afraid to ask questions here it goes. Under your name you have Shiloh Sharps Rifle Team. Does Shiloh have their own rifle team. Carlen
don marable

length of Pull

Post by don marable »

Carlen:

I am shooting a Sharps Quigley 45-110. Like you, I wanted a longer length of pull. I use a Rand Shooter's Pad from Buffalo Arms and put a Shooter Friend slip-over-the-butt pad from Cabellos. The combination of the two will add about one-inch of length to the length of pull, and both are removable items at the end of the shooting session. For hunting purposes I am thinking that I may use a slip on leather pad and put about an inch of filler inside the pad. For example, folded newspaper sheets, or maybe some form of commercial rubber goods. I am too far away from hunting season to worry with it at this time. Also, since hunting will be only an occasional shot, I may just use the slip on pad and shoot with one-half inch less length of pull.

The Shooter Friend in Cabella's Catalog is $17.99. It is a good investment for shooters of large calibers, as it reduces recoil by up to 70 percent.

Like Lee Stone, I don't intend to place anything of my Sharps that will not come off at the end of the day. These guns are too perfect to improve.

I hope this will assist you, and as they say "shoot straight."

Don
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Carlen,

I sent you a private message.
Lee Stone
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Several years ago I purchased a H&R Officers' Model Trapdoor. The rifle is fantastic....but, the length of pull was too short.

I bought some leather from tandys. I traced several copies of the butt plate on the leather and cut them out. I thinned the top and bottom of the leather strips so the center of them would fill the butt plate curve. The last one I left as normal. l then selected a thinner, darker piece and cut it in such a manner that it would encase the leather strips and wrap around the end of the stock. Its tied top and bottom with square leather shoe strings.

Currently, I have taken all but one of the strips out and I am using it on my 50-90 as a recoil pad.

It looks better than my description and was fun to make and did not cost much.
David