BROKEN FIRING PIN

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

carl thomas zmuda

BROKEN FIRING PIN

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

I got a sob story. I went out to the local 200 yard range to try out some black powder loads and fire some rounds at the railroad plate. I fired about 40 rounds, my last was a hit offhand on the plate so I quit and headed home.

When I started to clean the gun I noticed difficulty in opening/closing the action. After disassembly I found a broken firing pin. Of course this is with my Pedersoli copy of the 1874 Sharps. So how often can I expect to have this happen? Are there any other parts I should have in reserve? Thanks.

Carl

I bought this gun used just over a year ago and probably put close to 800 mostly smokeless rounds through it!
Have a good day!
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

there is your problem in a nutshell the gods are repaying you for using that smokeless stuff in your rifle.

Most of the problems with this style of rifle is usually only the firing pinI have had mine for 20 some years and only broke one I keep a couple of spares around just for the convienience of no down time also some people have broken the lever spring altho I havent seems to be most of the broken parts I've read about or experienced . I'm sure someone else will have a different list to give you...................Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
quigleysharps4570

Post by quigleysharps4570 »

Have fired a few thousand through my Pedersoli "Quigley", have had one broken lever spring and one broken firing pin. The firing pin broke because my nephew kept jacking it open without it being half-cocked. Too much pressure on the firing pin. The lever spring situation was remedied when I had .030 milled off the barrel block. Reason for, they use the same block on all the rifles, bigger the barrel, the more tension on the spring. As for the firing pin breaking again, doubt it, won't be my nephew doing it again anyway. :)
carl thomas zmuda

BROKEN FIRING PIN

At long last my firing pin came via UPS Thursday, I ordered it 5/28, and I intalled it today. So it looks like I will be sending some lead downrange Saturday.
Have a good day!
TYRVR

Lag time for firing pin:

Post by TYRVR »

Dang! that was quite a spell, ol' "Guiseppe" must have lost his glasses or something, hope you bought more than one,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
carl thomas zmuda

BROKEN FIRING PIN

Yep,

Got one in reserve, two more coming from another source. Probably should get a mainspring and lever spring too. Any other parts needed just in case?
Have a good day!
quigleysharps4570

Re: BROKEN FIRING PIN

Post by quigleysharps4570 »

[quote="carl thomas zmuda"]At long last my firing pin came via UPS Thursday, I ordered it 5/28, and I intalled it today. So it looks like I will be sending some lead downrange Saturday.[/quote] Glad to hear you got it going! I have ordered my parts from Flintlocks, Etc. , they've gotten here quick. They are a full-line distributor for Pedersoli. You can e-mail them at flintetc@berkshire.rr.com or phone them (413)698-3822 between 11am.-5pm. eastern time, Mon. - Fri. . Would like to hear about your shooting when ya get back out. Sure love shooting mine.
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Carl, I emailed Shiloh last year when my lever spring broke after about a thousand rounds and asked what parts would be good to have for backup. Seems like Lucinda responded that it would be good to keep an extra firing pin and lever spring. Due to modern metallurgy, these parts are better than the originals but one is still dealing with 125+ year technology so things can still break. Of course one can do what I did and get another Shiloh #1 for a backup. BTW, I got the new spring at no cost in only 3 days-Shiloh really stands behind their products.