1863 ?? Advise please

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Frank

1863 ?? Advise please

Post by Frank »

Found a new model 1863, 54 cal, Calvary carbine for sale. Marking on side of receiver says Shiloh Products, Farmingdale, New York. Barrel markings have caliber and says for black powder only. Has 4 digit ser no. Owner said he bought gun new in the early 1970's. Rifle is like brand new, has not been used much. I would say 98% excellent. Picture and description in Shiloh catalog page 7 is exactly the same. Seller asking $800. This sounds like a good buy. What do you that know these guns think? I have several Shiloh model 1874's. Not up to date on the 1863.
I have this on the Shooter post because of more readers.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

You need to look at the '63 forum, and from what the guys say on there, that's a very good price!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Frank,
Ken is correct, but you may find info any where, however I'm one of "those guys" he speaks of. I practically live for my '63 .54 carbine! So saying, the carbine you found is what we call a Farmingdale, in other words, made there prior to Shiloh's move to Montana, and affectionately so as well. With a 4 digit serial # I would say it was made @ 1976-77 or so. Mine is # 1271 and I purchased it in 1978. $800.00 is a deal to die for if the gas seal mechanism in the breech block is not worn and the chamber sleeve (bouching) fits with it well, which being Shiloh surely does. The steel in the breech block may have some pitting (cavitation) caused by loose loading powder, as opposed to using a flat based paper cartridge, but I doubt it as you say it was shot little. Even so, mine, pitted badly due to mis-spent years of knowing little, suffers not from this. This sounds like a deal that ought not be passed up, wish I was there to look at it for you (and drool)!
Best to you, Gregg (lots of info to be found concerning care and feeding should you decide to purchase on '63 forum and others)
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

In the early 70's or when they were first they were $350.00 for the new one i was looking at back then ! That was a lot of money then ! JAGG
JAGG
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Jagg,
True enough, bought mine for exactly that, $350.00 that got me a rifle with a mould and bullet starter that was supplied with these until ??? Yet, I believe Frank is a lucky guy with a seller asking $800.00.
Gregg
Frank

Post by Frank »

Well, I did it, I bought the 1863 Shiloh 54 cal. It has the saddle ring bar and ring on it. Rifle is just like brand new, not a mark, scratch or blimish on it, bore is perfect. I got it for $750 and he gave me a box full of bullets, papers, loading tool, glue sticks, funnel and caps. Everything is just like it came from the store. My best deal on a gun this year.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Frank ! Lets us know how she shoots ! JAGG
JAGG