N-SSA 1863

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Pete Woods

N-SSA 1863

Post by Pete Woods »

I bought a 1863 last week with the idea of using it in N-SSA competition, I guess that I didn't realize that double triggers are illegal, until afterward.
The rifle is a true wiork of art and I hate to sell it, i called to see about putting a single trigger on it with the idea of being able to go back and forth with the rifle as needed. i was told that any conversion would be permanent.
I hate to sell the rifle, but the only other choice is two buy another one with a single trigger for competition.
What can be done? if anything
Pete

Rich
this is the one I talked about on the SASS wire.SN below 250 with patch box and double triggers

Pete
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Pete, I shoot 1874's but have always been interested in the older percussion Sharp's. I am curious why the N-SSA would disallow a double set trigger. Haven't they heard of the Berdan Sharpshooters. California Joe's rifle sported them. One of these days I am gonna have Kirk build me a rifle like that! - Mike
Pete Woods

Post by Pete Woods »

I was told it was because of safety, that some idiot would pull the set trigger and have a 2 oz trigger when the match started. I cannot say that is correct, but it was what I was told. I was also told that it would give an unfair advantage, that I can't see, I shoot slower with a second trigger than with only one.

I've decided to wait and see
NRA Life, SASS Life, N-SSA, USPSA, IDPA
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Pete,
That is a curious position concerning saftey I would say. Navy Arms sells a '59 Berdan, DST, tang sight, the works, from Pedersoli. As I understand N-SSA competition it would be, as you said, disadvantageous to use the triggers double set. As a '63 afficionado I'm curious as to the particulars of your rifle, surely it is of military style. I hope you find a suitable solution to your problem.
Gregg
HvyMtl

Sharps Berdan

Post by HvyMtl »

Hey Mike

I have a 1859 Sharps Berdan Sniper rifle made by Pedersoli, its great. If you get Shiloh to make one for you I think your going to end up with a great rifle.

Ken
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Pete,

Just my 2 cents worth here but I had owned a '63 Shiloh military rifle that I shot in the individual N-SSA matchs one fall national. That rifle had the single trigger and patch box. I sold the rifle after that national. Because you must shoot against Henry's in the team competition, the Sharps is not really competitive, too slow to reload and shoot. I also think that a good Henry is more accurate at 100 yards and easier to shoot because of the shorter hammer fall/lock time.

I'd suggest just keeping the Shiloh and buying an Italian Henry for N-SSA competition.

Rich
Pete Woods

Post by Pete Woods »

Rich
Under the old Rules you are absoluely correct.
Because of the unfair competition compared to the Henry, there is a new category-breech loading single shot rifle.
Where the Sharps competes against the converted Ballard.
I will probably keep it the way it is at least for now,
I have a Henry in .44-40 but I haven't shot it with black powder, but I have used it in SASS competition.

In BPCR does the rifle have to use brass cartridges or can paper cartridges be used?

In another note, concerning the Spencer, N-SSA still hasn't found a way for the Spencer to be competitive in anything and for that matter neither has SASS.

Al

Pete
14th Mississippi
NRA Life, SASS Life, N-SSA, USPSA, IDPA
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Pete,
At the one and only BPCR match I attended I was given to understand that "it's your funeral." In other words, if you would like to compete with the metallic cartridge fellows, that's fine. Someone spoke of another who does occasionally come with a '63 sporter and actually does quite well.
That is what was told me, someone more knowledgable may differ.
Gregg