16lb .50-90 at Track

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JMLange

16lb .50-90 at Track

Post by JMLange »

For those of you who are interested, check out the 16lb .50-90 that just went up at Track of the Wolf.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categorie ... Num=XX-427

She's a beauty, but a little pricey.

John
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

A beauty all right but a mule if you're a purist. Rifle is a mix of original and new parts in a composite rifle. Very well done for what it is. I would love to own it but agree it is pricey.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I often have debats with friends in the N-SSA about using original Civil War "parts" guns and then relining barrels, stretching barrels from old cut-down ones and complete refinishing. Do these rifles have any historical/collector value? Or should you just spend your money on a new Shiloh or other high value reproduction forearms.

Before Shiloh started making their '74 military carbines again, I've thought about buying a converted CW 50/70, refinishing the stock, having Bob Hoyt reline the shot out barrel and having the action color case harden. But now, after all that, it would cost more then a new Shiloh carbine sine they are back in production. Is it worth it? That seem's to be the question.

Rich
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

That is a beautiful rifle, but for that price I would much prefer a new Shiloh.

However, I am glad to see such offerings coming on to our market in that I hope it to be an indicator of increasing interest in these types of guns and this type of shooting and thus an expanding market. Thus providing job security so to speak for Shiloh Rifle Mfg. Co. Like so many of us, I want Shiloh to be around forever.
Lee Stone
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

I think it is a really nice weapon. I wish I had an original reciever I could send to Shiloh for a similar conversion. Wow, with the Shiloh case hardening and wood, that would be a fine weapon "parts" gun, collectible or otherwise.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
RMulhern

1863 Sharps

Post by RMulhern »

Look closely at the wood to metal finish! IMO...leaves a lot to be desired! Shiloh beats this....hands down!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Rick,

I gotta agree. Like I said above, I'ld druther have a Shiloh.
Lee Stone
MartyS

Post by MartyS »

Believe I saw this rifle once at the monthly club matches at the WCGC. The fellow who owned it let his shooting partner shoot it and his partner laid down 12 pigs in a row with the hunting sights that are shown on it.
It sure was a beautiful rifle to actually see and contrary to what is suggested, the metal to wood finish is really very very good. Apparently the rifle was built by the same gunsmith that built last year's Silhoette National Champion's rifle. It may not be up to the standard of a Shiloh - very few guns are.
I sure wouldn't mind owning it and all things considered the price isn't all that far out there for such a one-of-kind piece. A similarly configured Shiloh is going to be all of $4 K.