40/90 and sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wwben47

40/90 and sights

Post by wwben47 »

First let me thank EVERYONE who posts on here..You have no idea how much help your discussions of loads, calibers etc, have been in helping me decide on a rifle and caliber..after waiting 20 years to buy a Shiloh!
But I did have two questions I wanted to ask..I rarely see 40/90 mentioned either for competition or hunting. While I have decided on a 45/70 for my first rifle, I have always thought i would like a 40/90. Is there some inherant lack of accuracy with the 40/90?..Second question..While the need for the tang sight is obvious for the long range guys..are there ANY tang sights suitable for hunting?..My rifle will mainly be used for hunting and informal 300 yard tagets. Any thoughts appreciated.
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Can't answer the part about the accuracy issue with the .40, though I'm doubtful that any particular cartridge is more accurate than any other, at least if the shooter can swing the recoil equally.

Anyway, as for tang sights up close. I use them in Iowa timber - not on a Sharps, that would be illegal, but on a .45 muzzleloader with the same bullets). I prefer them - BUT, I much much prefer the Lyman 17A front sight with two modifications. One modification is to chuck the locking ring into my "lathe" (aka drill press) and carve it down to the same diameter as that barrel of the front sight (using a file) so that it blocks less of the view.

Second, I use only Lee Shaver's crosswire inserts for this sight when hunting. The reason being that I can always find two of the four legs of the cross wires visible enough in low light that I can shoot. Posts often do not work because the ground below the animal, and the animal itself, is often too dark. The crosswires let you bracket the target quite well at these sorts of ranges, even in poor light.

Lee does make inserts for other sights, but I don't know which ones, and I don't know if he includes the crosswires in those sets.

Brent
Troll

Post by Troll »

I've hear that the 40-90 SS will shoot accurately with Goex 1FG heavy bullets and a fast twist. It will be my next caliber after I tame the 40-70SS whenever it finally gets here.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
JeffCraw

Post by JeffCraw »

I always thought I wanted a 40-90 BN. I have two Shilohs, one a 45-70 and the other a 50-70. I had originally ordered a 40-90 BN both times, but chickened out because of case/component availability (especially on my first rifle, which was 12 years ago) and the extra cost. I still think the 40-90 BN leads in "neatness", and would probably strongly consider it if I ever get another rifle. I'd also probably chicken out again and get a 40-70SS!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Shucks Jeff, you really ought to get a BN if that is what you want. You'll pine for it forever if you don't. Just like a number of knowledgeable folk counseled me against ordering a .50/90 because the recoil can make long strings of shooting something less than fun. But I knew full well that if I didn't get one I would always wish I had. So, I compromised (you might say cheated) and added a Braco mercury tube recoil reducer to the order and asked Kirk to install it. I feel relatively confident that the tube will provide a degree of civilzation to the recoil so that it will be more manageable and not creat recoil headaches. Since I have no intention of shooting this rifle in competition, the added weight is no problem. I am really looking forward to recieving this rifle. I absolutely LOVE my Shiloh .45/90.
Lee Stone
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

Jeff, I had a 40/90 for prob. 8 yrs now. Used for hunting. I've not experienced any of the horror stories related to bottleneck cartridges. I've always had v. easy extraction. Performance on game is excellent. I also own 45-70, 50-90, 40-65 (got rid of a 40-70 & 45-100)...anyway you'll be surprised at how much faster that bullet gets to the target. My rifle has a crescent butt....recoil never bothersome when hunting. Have always worn a pad for load development however. Cases & other components readily available @ Buff Arms. Try one out....I doubt seriously that you'll regret it.
Beruisis
ssdave

Post by ssdave »

I have in my parts bin a perfect condition, inside and out, Shiloh barrel including front and rear sights in .40-90 SBN. Also forming and sizing dies, and I believe about 175 brass. I picked them up as a package from a fellow who rebarreled to a smaller caliber, and am planning to build a Shiloh :) Rolling Block some day with the outfit. If anyone with a Shiloh already wants to try the .40-90 for cheap, I'd be willing to part with it for a trade of a comparable quality octagon barrel blank (Badger or Green Mountain) and the cost of comparable dies and brass in a more conventional caliber such as 50-90 or .50-110. It's just as easy for me to work with a blank as a finished barrel, and it's almost a shame to cut up an excellent shiloh barrel.

dave