Shot My Repaired Carbine, Observations, etc.

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

HvyMtl,

That .537" that you measure, is that the lands or grooves? If it is a Shiloh it should be in the nieghborhood of .537" X .543+/-. If so this NEI I have should shoot quite well in it. If you would like some tryers send me a e-mail with your address and I'll be happy to ship some to you.

As I stated above I'm not sure the mould with given dimensions they sell now is the same as what I have but it shoots pretty good for me. Mine measures .520" X .540". Two friends of mine shoot the larger NEI in their Shilohs and like them better. I have a few of those and could send you 3-5 if you like.

Bob
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Rich,
Dang it! I meant .557, but if one looks at my threads, you will find plenty boo-boo's. We've discussed this before, several folks, but for Ken's benefit, I ran out of correct bullets also at a shoot and the .577 Enfield minies I borrowed shot well, as did .570 round balls at one time. I believe Berdan's troops at Gettysburg ran out of ammunition and used .58 Springfield ammunition with absolutely no ill effects to their rifles.
That episode with the Smiths you speak of speaks well for the function and durability of the various breechloading carbines and rifles developed and used in the Civil War.
Made cartridges my self this morning, for the first time I'm trying a thin waxed fast food beverage cup over powder wad and corn meal between that and pasted bullet, not a ring tail.
Gregg

Post by Guest »

OK, looked at the NEI site and it plainly states the bullets may drop up to .003" over the advertized size. Also says the cherry is exactly those dimensions.

Bob
gmartin

NEI INFORMATION

Post by gmartin »

Bob,
You are right. I checked my NEI print out and found that to be so. So saying, knowing these tolerances, and the fact that other variables exist such as bullet alloy composition, one could safely use a bought mould and produce a bullet that will preform well in this rather forgiving '63's. As stated, gift bullets to try cast from NEI moulds shot well in my .54 carbine. That .002, at least, over bore diameter of a given bullet should be easy to account for.
Gregg
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

Gregg

Yes he did get good accuracy with the rifle and bullet, I can't remember what reason he gave for selling it.

Yes the mini shoots very well up too 100 yds. I tried it at 200 yds and didn't get very good results, but I have a feeling it was my tang sight not being lined up very well with the front sight, (you know squared ). It also could be that the 420 gr. mini was destablizing.

Ken
gmartin

swartzstock

Post by gmartin »

Ken,
Right, my best shooter thus far, that Shiloh Buffalo Slug, didn't do well at the 200 yd. mark. The bullet at 428 grns., a very dismall sighting notch, or more likely, me; one or more made quite a difference.
I don't have 200 yards available often, I know, a personal problem.
Gregg
HvyMtl

Bullets/targets

Post by HvyMtl »

Gregg

Isn't that bullet a flat nose?, if so at 428 gr. you probably won't get good accuracy much passed 100 yds. Pointy bullets seem to be the thing to use when your shooting 2-300yds. and beyond.

If you go to your local gun shop/club you can ask them to order these targets, if you can't get them and many other people have trouble getting them than we can agree on somthing else to use.

Ken
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Ken,
Yep, a wadcutter. But, Shiloh supplied the mould. Someone(s) had thought highly of it. Bob Bayless had given me heavier ring tails, with a pronounced steep ogive, one shot real well, others from Rapine are coming from Rich Siegel. Great people on this forum! Have a minie, a .540 RCBS Hogdan I'm still playing with, as well as the same mould with a flat base plug from a friend machinist. I've no scale, calipers, etc., would be nice.
Sure I can get the targets.
Best, Gregg