First outing

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

First outing

Post by pacecars »

I took the Shiloh out Saturday morning in search of Buffalo. I am hunting on a lease in Jefferson County Florida and it turns out that we don’t have any Buffalo but I hear tell that our neighbor landowner (Ted Turner) has a passel of them on his property in Montana. I might need to have a talk with him but in the mean time it looks like I will have to substitute a deer or hog for Buffalo. Oh well, on with our story: Saturday morning was perfectly calm and a cool 36 degrees as I got settled in my stand on a small food plot. It would not be a challenge for the Montana Rough Rider with its 34 inch .45 -110 barrel as my longest shot could be 125 yards max. At first shooting light I had a very large bodied 4 point walk into the field. The club has an 8 point or better rule so he was in no danger today. After watching him for a few minutes a rabbit came out and started running around him and between his legs. This went on for the next 20 minutes and was very entertaining. I decided to call them Bambi and Thumper. I was hoping that Flower did not show up though! Well, they finally wandered off into the woods just in time for a couple of fat does to wander in. The does fed around until the biggest one was kind enough to present a broadside shot at 50 yards! A perfect initiation for the Sharps! But as soon as I had the sights lined up and about to pull that big hammer back, both does jerked their heads around in the direction they came from. Must be a buck coming in behind them so I grabbed the binoculars just in time to see a buck with very tall and very wide antlers step out! He was staring hard at the 2 does and doing that funny lip thing bucks do when they are down wind of a hot doe. He stepped out a little more and looked in my general direction which allowed me to get a good look at his antlers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7…... wait a minute, where is 7? Dang it, it is a 6 point! Oh well, I need the meat so I can still shoot the doe. Well that was what I thought but the 6 point decided to chase the does around the field and into the woods! Oh well, at least it too was entertaining. I figured that was it for the morning but one more buck decided to pop out of the woods. He turned out to be another 4 point and hung around for 10 minutes or so. I never did get to shoot the Shiloh Sharps but I still consider it a very successful hunt. This was one of the more enjoyable hunts I have had and I think the choice of rifle made it all the more so. Oh well we will get ‘em next time!

Real gun powder is black.
pacecars

Re: First outing

Post by pacecars »

A note about the rifle: It has the sights that came on it when I got it at the moment but after a lengthy conversation with Mr. Bagwell I plan to put the rear buck-horn on it and replace the front sight with a copper penny blade. I will also get a good Vernier for target work
Real gun powder is black.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

that looks like a nice place to set and admire that rifle ,..
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Thanks for sharing. Two weeks till our season opens. I'm excited
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR