heavy recoil

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

AnthonyTRKR

heavy recoil

Post by AnthonyTRKR »

Welcome to all.This is a great forum that I have enjoyed for some time.I do understand this is a Shilo Sharps site,but I've got a problem and don't know where to turn.I've been shooting a 45-70Rem. Rolling block for about 15 yr.I purchased a Pedersolie Billie Dixon in 45-90 18 mo. back and got around to shooting it.After 6 shots I have a badly brused sholder.Powder charge Geox 2fg x72 gr with 405 cast bullet. I didn't think to clean the barrel before. Fouling was very heavey.When I goy home I cleaned the rifle .I got the normal carbon from black powder on wet soapy patches,but red rust on many patches after.Looking at the bore tonight it shows leading never a problem with my 45-70. Also this rifle started to keyhole. It's Brand new.Thanks
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Anthony

Welcome to (IMHO) the best forum, shooting or otherwise, on the Internet.

First the bruising: Being on aspirin therapy I bruise very easily. A box or two of .45/70 would result in a sore shoulder and a very dark bruise. I purchased a shoulder worn Rand Elite recoil pad from Buffalo Arms:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,168.html

I have not had any sorness nor any bruising since, regardless of how many boxes of ammunition I shoot and not even with my Shiloh .45/90, even shooting 570gr bullets over 90gr of Swiss FFg. The pad is made out of some sort of space age foam, the name of which I have never learned and it flat works. I now carry a couple of extra pads with me in my range box so that if I have a someone shooting with me they don't have to use the same pad I am using. I very highly recommend this pad. And it is thin enough that, if desired, it could be worn under a shirt of jacket.

I used to not run a dry patch through my barrels before shooting, but I have been warned off of that laziness (which on my part, laziness is all it was). I now run a dry patch through the barrell prior to the first round, becuase after cleaning the rifle, my final act is to run a bore mop dripping with Ballistol through the bore. I have never had the first hint of rust doing this. Some may not agree with doing this, but it works for me.

Since you did not clean the new bore, my guess is the red stains you observed on your patches were likely not rust, but rather cosmolene or other preservative that the bores are protected with prior to leaving the factory.

Being a new bore and not broken in is a likely cause to the leading. Pedersoli cut rifles their barrels and I do not believe they lap them in. If they did, Pedersoli rifles would be a lot more expensive than they are. Below is a link to a post I made of the barrel break in process recommended by Krieger Barrels. It may be of interest to you. Of course one can break in the barrel by simply shooting it a lot, but it takes longer.

viewtopic.php?t=2885

You did not mention if you use a blow tube. Blow tubing is an absolute necessity. A lot of blow tubing, 7 to 9 long drawn out, wet breaths is what I like to do. Just don't make yourself hyperventilate and pass out :wink: . Since you indicated that the keyhole problem appeared late in the shooting session, I tend to attribute it to hard fouling (lack of blow tubing and possibly insufficient or inadequate lube, or both) and lead accumulation due to the bore not being broken in.

If the opportunity is there, I like to clean the bores before I leave the range. I use some patches soaked with moose milk (one part Ballistol to 10 parts water), then dry patches, then a couple of patches with pure Ballistol, then the bore mop dripping with Ballistol. That is how I like to do it. Other folk like to do it differently. But this works for me.

Well, there are my thoughts on your questions. I hope you can find something worth while to you.
Lee Stone
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Anthony,

I have to agree with Lee, I own a Perdersoli in 45/90 amoung others of this cal. and always use a recoil pad, I'm 5' 4'' and over weight, but thats good living for you :lol: My load is a Lyman postel 530 grains , .30 card wad over 85 grains of Swiss, which I find works upto and including 1000 yards (will group into 5'' - 7'' at 500 yards consistantly)
I use a blow tube - three good breaths then clean out on the range at the end of the day. I then run two last patches through with gun oil on. At the start of a shoot I always run a couple of dry patches through.

Regards

Dave
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Dave,

When you get here, I must talk to you about Ballistol.
Lee Stone
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Lee,

Ballistol is somthing I've heard a lot about but not seen over here, the traditonal gun oil has been 'youngs .303' 'Hoppes 009' and any number of comercial 'brand' oils.

Dave
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

You shall see. :wink:

Now there is one negative to Ballistol. Upon first exposure it is not the most pleasantly scented stuff in the world, but once one gets used to it, the unpleasantness goes away. But I Very Much prefer it.

But it sure would be nice if they could make it smell like Hoppes #9. :roll:
Lee Stone
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

A ! 72gr Goex 2fg and a 405gr bullet is what i call a light recoiling load out of my 9.5lb rifle ! Wait till you shoot a 535gr postal bullet with that or heavier load ! Recoil pads good ! I had to slip one onto the rifle and one onto my shoulder ! Now i'm not brusied anymore , but i do tend to start wandering around aimlessly in the weeds after 60rds in a session ! I think that this is called FUN ! JAGG :?
JAGG
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

One of the side-effects of Ballistol is that people who smell it become disciples and try to convert everyone they see, know, or even run into over the Net! I even know one shooter in Georgia who comes to matches with a 1 gallon sprayer full of the stuff to use in cleaning.

Seriously, I know lots of people who use it and swear by it. Lee, I couldn't refrain from a light-hearted jab about it!

My preference is a good, synthetic (sorry-bad word) oil called Eezox. In 20 years in south LA, I've never had so much as fingerprint rust on any firearm treated with it. I shoot the first shot from a bore damp with Eezox, and I've never had leading problems.

Lots of different ways to solve BPCR problems, and many of them work!

Clarence
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I believe Ballistol is also synthetic, it says no "petroleum products", completely biodegradable, etc, etc. Where do you get this Eezox?? I like Ballistol also, but also use Break Free, I like both.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

What I was going to say was, BA says in their catalog that Ballistol is "very popular overseas and is rapidly catching on here". I wonder what "seas" they are refering to if you've never heard of it??
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Lumberjack Bill

Ballistol is not synthetic

Post by Lumberjack Bill »

It is simply Coal Oil. Around for ages. George
reloader4410

Post by reloader4410 »

bruise shoulder cure : shooters friend pad in cabellas about $20 ugly but works. ballistol, wife hates it I love it.