PP Bison

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Denali

PP Bison

Post by Denali »

Just got back from the Montana-Dakotas border (16 hr drive) with a nice yearling meat bull of approximately 800#'s. My buddy and I booked a yearling bull hunt with the Crazy Woman Bison Ranch about 25 miles from Ekalaka. The weather was beautiful with a low around 20F and a high a bit over 40F. The last 4 miles to the ranch was a two track road through the hilly country that became a steeringwheel clenching ordeal on the way out due to the mud! We almost didn't make it out of there! To say this ranch is in BFE is the polite way to put it. The owner is an an interesting character and I really enjoyed his conversation and way of life. He owns approximately 4400 acres and raises bison only letting the yearling bulls (best meat) to be harvested.

I dont recommend this hunt to anyone thinking there is a sporting element to the hunt. Although the animals graze over a large area they have been conditioned to the owners truck. I did not shoot from the truck, but I could have very easily. I shot the bull quartering away low behind the right shoulder at less than 50 yards. The bull hit the ground feet in the air immediately. I put one more through the boilerroom to put it out of its misery, although it wasnt needed.

My load was a 405 grain round nose with a flat tip and straight sides 0.425" wrapped with thick paper to 0.436". I had Accurate make me the bullet mold to my specification with the sole purpose of hunting. Under the bullet sandwiched between 0.030 wads was a 3/16" 2:1 peanut oil/beeswax cookie. I drop tubed 76 grains KIK 2F in the baco reformed case primed with a BR-2. With this load I can shoot several times without any blowing or wiping, but can continue shooting with a breath of air down the pipe ever once in a while. Accuracy is about 2" for 4 out of 5 shots at 100 yards. The bullet was cast 50:1. I tried KIK 1.5, Swiss 1.5, and KIK 2F and 2F was the best and cleanest for that bullet. Powderburner sent me some 405 gr tapered Gibbs bullets that shot better and loaded easier than my bullet so I have one of KAL's molds on order.

My rifle is a plain wood 28" business rifle in 44-77. I added an extra 1/2" length of pull and bone/charcoal case hardening. I swapped out the silver blade and replaced it with a penny. I filed out the vee in the semibuckhorn slightly for more light.

Special thanks to Powderburner for answering my countless e-mails and coaching me along the way! I'd also like to thank Orville and Rdnck for getting me set up right and sharing their thier hard earned knowledge and experience.

Normally I would paste the bbc code (whatever its called) for the photo but photobucket isnt working for me now so i'm trying flickr. Hope it works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90157711@N03/8193646880/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90157711@N03/8193645498/
58limited

Re: PP Bison

Post by 58limited »

Awesome bison, and rifle too. Congratulations.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Great story and hunt! Did your bullet exit the buffalo?

Stephen
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks 58limited and Stephen. Bullets exited. The top of the heart was clipped. Lost some meat on one of the shoulders. I was really hoping to find a bullet to assess expansion. Exit holes were about 6-7/10".
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Congrats. Beautiful color on the buff. Very nice rifle. Thanks for the excellent report of your shoot. Blessings
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Denali can you post a picture of the bullet you used?

Thanks Stephen
Denali

Post by Denali »

Stephen,

Here is a picture of the loaded round and the bare bullet.

Finally got photobucket to work so there is no link to the picture on this site.

Mike

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Looks like everything worked like it should.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks for the bullet photo Denali! That bullet did the job perfectly!

Stephen
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks Don. And thanks for sharing all the useful 44-77 knowledge and experience you have gained in the last year on this forum! I've read it all several times. My 500 gr .430" version of this bullet shoots about 1.25 MOA with your KIK 1.5F recommended loading. It just doesn't like to be shot several times in a row due to all that paper that the bullet require to be shoved into the fouled chamber.

Mike
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Denali,you're most welcome, I'm just glad my ramblings may have helped someone.
If you want a really decent target bullet, you do have to wipe between shots, take a gander at the 43-470 P I had Accurate make, you will need the 8 lb paper for it tho.
Have tossed around the idea of having him make your 400 bullet at .432 diameter.That would seem to make a really good hunting and midrange, possibly long range gong bonger.
Denali

Post by Denali »

Don,

That 43-470P looks awesome!
I wish I had put some taper on my Accurate bullets nose. Deans .431 405gr tapered Gibbs bullets he sent me shot really well with KIK 1.5F. I had to size them down to .429 to get them to fit my 43 spanish sized baco brass to hold them properly with 9# (new stuff). I really like how the dropped in the chamber so easily. I ordered the KAL mold right away I was so impressed.

I will probably try another Accurate design attempt in the future with possibly a dual diameter or tapered bullet with a huge meplat. Something I can wrap with 9# and just drop in the chamber, but has devastating results on game.

Mike
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Mike here's that 470 p bullet

Here's the dual diameter bullet I got from Old West. It's 435 on the base, wrapped in the 8 lb paper it shoots well to 500 yds with the ladder sights, and may do well to past that with target sights. If I ever get on the bison priority list it'll be the bullet I use.
Denali

Post by Denali »

Nice Don!

That dual diameter bullet looks very original looking. I hope you can use it on a bison! How does that 470 shoot?

Mike
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Mike, Bernie said that bullet was copied from a pull down someone had brought him.I've wrapped it in heavy paper and used it in the 45 sharps with great results on elk and antelope.
The 470 P has shot something very close to moa for me here at home, and shot close to that on a few of the targets at Ekalaka.
That tgbs bullet you ordered from KAL shoots pretty decent for me out to 600 yds, but past that it has given me fits. Using either a felt wad or grease cookie under it set at 1.1 inches going 10 rounds with no fouling control other than blowing a couple breaths straight into the chamber, and not loose much in accuracy to 300 yds.