Ordering Questions

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

smd189

Ordering Questions

Post by smd189 »

Hello Everyone:

I ordered a #1 in April at the 04 NRA show. I ordered it with extra fancy wood, pewter tip, brass escuteheons, and a military butt plate. My question would be about custom bedding and polished barrel. What is everyone's opinion on these two upgrades? Thanks

Shawn :)
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Custom bedding serves a purpose in that it protects the foreend from moisture that can cause it to swell affecting accuracy and is a worthwhile upgrade for the price. Polished barrel is a cosmetic preference.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I wouldn't order a Shiloh without the forearm bedding. The polished barrell, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
deerhuntsheatmeup

choices

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Sir, The polished barrel is a great looking option but not without its drawbacks. I have both and the polished barrel is a beauty to look at and it took lots of time to do by a craftsman. However, if you plan to shoot in matches with a long string of shots, the mirage created by the polished barrel is not good. Once the barrel gets hot after say 10-12 shots (1 shot per minute) the barrel really puts off some mirage when out in the sunlight..

Like I said, it depends what you are gonna do with this rifle. If you don't plan to shoot matches or if your range is covered, go ahead and get the polished barrel.

As for the bedding the forearm, a cheap insurance against any deformation if the rifle ever gets caught out in the rain or falls out of a boat on a hunting trip.

My 2 cents, David Barfield
smd189

Post by smd189 »

Thanks for all the help