12-90-500 Paper Patched, of course

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

12-90-500 Paper Patched, of course

Post by Brent »

Yesterday was the first morning of turkey hunting for me. This little guy came in and I wasn't going to take him. For 45 minutes I let him go but he kept hanging with me and eventually, I thought about the weather forecast for this morning, the lack of time on Mon/Tues (the last two days of this season) and fact that I wasn't hearing anything else talking.

So, eventually too much was too much and that was that. He was just a jake, but he sure talked a good line...

Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Stephen Borud

Re: 12-90-500 Paper Patched, of course

Post by Stephen Borud »

That's cool Brent!

Stephen

PS. Did you draw antelope in Wy this year?
Brent

Post by Brent »

I don't think the WY antelope tags are drawn yet. 'lope tags are drawn very late.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Ok Brent. We put in next month! It was a very mild winter around here so hopefully the goats faired well! They are starting to show back up around the house again!

Stephen
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Nice bird...you're making me think I need to get a tag and load up the 10ga ML :) :)
Frank Savage

Post by Frank Savage »

Nice...

But I must say that I´m jelaous now, because of that shotgun. Aside from SxS with hammers, which is a "must be" for my taste: just the buttshape I realy like, plain, straightgrained wood which is beauty by it´s ruged, natural simplicity and warmness, well made chekering and few minor darkened spots around buttplate and of course under grip from frequent handling and some well cared of scars of use. Deep, real steel cold blue (there can be an ice cold blue made on steel, other breed than this) and swift transition from chubby chamber into sveltness of the rest of the barrels... Say now it has 15" LOP and 34-36" barrels (14" and 32" accceptable) and I´ll have to sleep in the bathtub because of the needd to drain safely an unstoppable drooling.
There´s no matter about things in your hands. Important is, how can you use them.

Hard way taught lesson
Brent

Post by Brent »

Frank, that Cashmore is a really nice gun. A meat gun, but a good one. It fits me really well, so its not going anywhere but on my next hunting trip. The LOP is probably about 14.5" and the barrels might be 32" but more probably 30".

This one has 32" barrels though. It's a 10 bore and a heavier fowler. I'm going to sell it sooner rather than later, because I have too many of these doubles and the 10 just doesn't get used much.

Image.

I have one other 32" gun, and it does have 15" LOP or even a titch over. It's a 16. Let's see if I find a pic for you..
Frank Savage

Post by Frank Savage »

I forgot the pistol grip in the "must be" for a shotgun. But sometimes the absence don´t bother me and you just showed some of them :-)
That 10 ga. has some 18-19-ish distinct VA touch just behind the lock panels and in the triggerguard as well as lock panel/wrist architecture. Real southern longrifle breed in this parts, to my not-so-well-trained eye.
The other is one more proof and reason of the proverbial "sweet sixteen", albeit it´s somehow too elaborately chekered and engraved for my general taste-or maybe it´s such visible an contrasting just in the photo and not in the real life. But the overall architecture and light browning, which don´t let the gun rust even if degreased and stuck into puddle for rainwater and chicken pee catching for a week-nice.

I would bet that Cashmore is from your "only from cold, dead hands" guns. For me, those dead hands would have to be milled into caned dog food to loose the grip. I realy like things, which are beautiful by proper material and treatment, visible workmanship where you can find ocassional minor slip of trained hands, architecture, design and handling feel of a well made tool. Tool, not toy-no matter how serious. I feel that even from the photo of the Cashmore and know why it´s your meat gun.
I don´t hate engraving and such-but the gun is a tool, not an art piece, so the engraving etc. is just a botom line. When a second look to notice the engraving is needed, it´s just OK. And when a close inspection after the second look shows a two full months wort of delicate and refined engraving, which is hardly noticeable from 2 yards, it´s very close to real perfection from my point of view. Not made anymore. Add some age and history, few well cared of scratches which makes the personality of the tool... What can be seen on Blasers and such parodies of guns, that´s like comparing Liz Taylor, Audrey Hepburn or Greta Garbo in their prime of womanliness to a $10 iflantable doll.
A bit OT, but I couldn´t help myself.
There´s no matter about things in your hands. Important is, how can you use them.

Hard way taught lesson
Brent

Post by Brent »

Frank,
I see you, indeed, have the shotgun disease. Both of those are English. The 10 is a Scott If you compare with the souther rifles, by 1880 or so when she was made, there was probably a bit of horse trading of design and style between the continents.

The 16 is an Evans. She could become THE gun if I can bend the stock just a little more. She's too high in the comb for me right now, but she's close. Much better than before. She is about as fancy as my guns get, but mostly she is light, fast and quite a nice handling gun. One great advantage to her is the ease of cocking both hammers with one sweep of my thumb. The Cashmore is not quite as good at this. Also, both guns, but esp. the Evans, keep the hammers very low when cocked - that helps keep them from fouling the sight picture. Just a bit more bending and she will be perfect.

The Cashmore was built from the ground up to just kill stuff. And she does. Simple, solid and dependable. If I really have to hit something, she's the one. But the Evans will give her a run for her money soon. Still, the Cashmore will never be traded. She is just too dependable and being a 12 perfect for everything always.
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Beautiful shotguns. English shotguns are one of my firearms passions. My current favorite is an Osborn 12 bore. I have a midland hammer that is right up there also. Thanks for sharing
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR