A question of calibers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

HangfireME

A question of calibers

Post by HangfireME »

I am sure this topic has been covered and debated ad nauseum but I am new to the Forum and would beg your indulgence.

I currently own a Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle in .45-70. I was fortunate enough to find it on a rack in a gunshop in PA about 12 years ago. I have used it to take a nice boar bear here in Maine and a yearling buffalo in Kansas as well as competing with it at local SASS cowboy shoots.

I have ordered a new Shiloh that I anticipate getting in early 2005. It will be a Sporter #1 with pewter tip, extra fancy wood, AA finish, polished barrel and screws, French Gray action, engraved, Beach front sight and set up to take the MVA Mid Range Vernier I have on the Business Rifle.

When I was in Big Timber in April, I handled most of what is on the wall and the 30" standard weigh barrel on the Sporter #1 felt like it was made for me. Balance was much better than the Business Rifle and it felt like I could hold it on target forever.

Currently, the order calls for another .45-70. I have another buffalo hunt scheduled for 12/05 in KS and this time will be after one of the big boys. I also plan to sell the Business Rifle after the hunt (my brother and step son will join me and use the Business Rifle on their hunts).

With all this in mind, I am wondering about moving to a .45-90 or something else and would appreciate the thoughts of this group.
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Black or nitro?
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: You can never have enough rifles, that said a 45-90 would allow you to shoot long range matches, silhouette, and hunt (big game). If you would like less recoil the 40-65 chambering is accurate and can also be used for hunting. Rbump
OMD

Post by OMD »

HangfireME,

Rightly or wrongly, it is my impression that anything you can do with a 45-90 you can do with a 45-70 -- regardless of whether you're using BP or smokeless. As such, I would recommend the caliber that you think you would have the most fun with.

I recently added another Shiloh to my collection. It is one of those 14 pound bull barrel rifles. I thought that I wanted one in 45-90. However, the only caliber available was 45-70. I decided the difference between these two calibers was insignificant and bought the rifle.

Good luck on your caliber choice!

Owen
N2

Post by N2 »

Owen - Your statements, "anything you can do with a 45-90 you can do with a 45-70" and "I decided the difference between these two calibers was insignificant" really captured my attention! That's about as good a job of rationalizing the purchase of a rifle as I've ever heard. There's even less difference between the 45-2.4" and the 45-2.6" than there is between the 45-2.1" and the 45-2.4". Does that mean the 45-70 can do anything the 45-100 can do as well? While it takes a lot of BP to make a real difference in vleocity, the 10-15 grains difference between a 45-70 and a 45-90 is a lot. Quit rationalizing. Take that 45-70 you purchased and have a reputable gunsmith chuck it up in a lathe and run that chamber out to 45-90 like you really wanted. - Nick
HangfireME

Post by HangfireME »

Black, of course. That Nitro stuff is only a passing fad. Won't last. :wink: