Long time coming antelope

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Long time coming antelope

Post by pete »

pacecars

Re: Long time coming antelope

Post by pacecars »

Good job! Hunt and rifle details?
Real gun powder is black.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There's got to be a story to go with those smiles....
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Congratulations! Now we're getting somewhere. There's got to be a story to go with the smiles. shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure the picture went through being as I'm no computer tech. Well after 2 partial days and 3 full days in October with no antelope to show because of low numbers in the area and blown stalks I decided to try the late season. We didn't go back to the same ranch but went first to a ranch I do some coyote hunting on. I don't usually see a lot of 'lopes on this place but thought it's a start. I spotted a lone buck with nothing else visible around him in the morning so we went to a different area of the ranch and put on 5 miles hiking without seeing any more. I thought that it was strange that the buck was alone since antelope usually gather in bunches during the winter so we went back for another look. After not seeing anything I took one more last look and spotted 5 antelope heads above the grass 600 or so yds away. I told my wife that he wasn't alone after all. Because of the wind and terrain we had to go around them and come in from the side. We found them again about 500 yds away and I waited until they got up and see what they'd do. They moved into a low area and we waited a few minutes to be sure. We then made our move and got to the little ridge they went behind and I started to sneek over the top going slow . I wasn't seeing anything and thought they left when I spotted them at the same time they saw me. They got up but weren't sure what I was since I was screened by tall grass. They stared to walk off and up a hill as I got my shooting sticks set up and estimated the range at about 200 yds. because the my range finder was'nt any good because of the grass. I also had to shoot from a kneeling position because of the tall grass. When the lead doe got separated I aimed using a MVA 133 that's set up for 200 yds. At the shot I heard a loud WOP and they all took off. The one I shot slowed down and after a bit she layed down and I realised I hit a little far back. We sat where we were and watched for fear of spooking her into running further. She laid there 15 minutes and then tried to get back up but only went about 15 ft. and went down. I hit the liver which while not instantly effective did the job.
I know some guys will say she's only a doe but with a Sharps and in the tough conditions we had this year we were real happy.

Hartford 45-70
Pure lead 430 gr. flat point .200 meplat from a Brooks mould
70 gr. Swiss 2 f
It was a complete pass through with a 1 inch exit hole.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Oh yeah, that sweet smile of success. :)
Congrats on the successful hunt.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Pete, Congratulations and nicely done. Does are just fine, and I've yet to see a decent recipe for antelope horns anyway.
Regards, IR
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Way to go Pete! Delicious meat awaits you!

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks for the replies. I went back and tried to delete my last sentence with the doe comment because it was stupid and inapropriate and doesn't reflect my viewpoint. It's just that there are some guys who do have that view.....but that's their problem.
I talked to a game warden before this trip and he said the drought had the antelope harder to find in general during October he also said the meat from from December antelope is different than October ones possibly because the rut is over. I like antelope anyway but I'm interested to find out. I did notice she had more fat than they typically do.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

December antelope is very good. It's got more to do with the ambient temperature and them not being so blamed hot, and they run alot less later in the year.
Denali

Post by Denali »

Nice work Pete, and thanks for sharing!

Mike
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Excellent story and shot. I have nothing against does of any species. They are sometimes harder to get than the biggest males. Since it was done with a Sharps that makes it more special!
Real gun powder is black.
Hartford Pete

Post by Hartford Pete »

Nice Going Pete. Did your tag roll over or how did you get to hunt December too, B tag maybe? I know my sons tag doe rolls over but I thought that was just for kids? By the way, I too have found cow elk and other female big game animals far superior on the table to bulls/bucks that have been fighting and running themselves ragged for about 6 weeks. Enjoy that doe.
Pete
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you for the kind words.
Don;
I'm sure you're right about the temp. and their running around less. This is our first December antelope so I'm curious. How about those tee shirts for a December hunt :roll: It was silly warm.

pacecars;
I agree with you that sometimes they can be tougher. I will say that most of my stalks have been blown by does, they are generally more skittish whether antelope or deer. You're right about the Sharps aspect because my wife and I through the .243 idea around a couple of times before this trip but it wouldn't have been nearly as special and was never given serious consideration. I had some legitimate opportunities in Oct. for the .243 but hey that's how it goes.

Stephen;
How's the quest for elk going? Since the 50-90 barely killed that deer you're probably worried about using her on elk. :lol:

FWIW we were wearing orange while hunting and after the picture taking but I took a couple of pages out of Brent's book which was to take off the orange for pictures and trying a tang sight. Both good ideas for us anyway.
pete

Post by pete »

H Pete;
Yea it was a B tag. We didn't get all those perks when we were kids. :D My wife wasn't real keen on the idea of hunting pregnant does. I told her that they could have been in Oct. too but that didn't go over completely but she relented.