Didn't bust a cap!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

Didn't bust a cap!

Post by RMulhern »

I'm getting soft in my old age....maybe somewhat more 'demented' than I think!! Went to Kansas for a three day hunt last week; saw plenty of deer...lots of bucks but I had made up my mind that if I didn't get a chance at a 160+ buck that I wasn't going to even shoulder the rifle. Saw plenty of 2 1/2 to 3 year old bucks, plenty of 8 points, and one 10 pt but the racks lacked mass so I just sat back and watched! The bucks were rutting big time but it was HOT! Last day I hunted I was down to my T shirt and I guess the warm spell just had the BIG BOYS laid back in the shade. I know they're there as the photo below of my friend Dave got this buck last season hunting the same area only about 1200 yards south of where I was hunting. The below buck went a little over 170.

DaveK2 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

I've been hunting these dudes since 1950 down here in North Louisiana and taken lots of them hunting in 5 different states over the years and I've seen the time when just a small 4 pt. meant meat on the table and those got shot and put into the freezer box. It seems as I have matured/aged that my expectations have changed or either I've become a 'softie' because in times past there were plenty of these deer I saw in Kansas that would have bitten the dust! But I can truthfully say that I really enjoyed just sitting and watching all the deer for those few days and I have a sneaking suspicion that when I go back next year, the Good Lord willing that I'll operate on the same plan again!

It will not be a good day as this morning we lost a family member due to pancreatic and lung cancer! But we will survive!

I hope all you guys have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Denali

Re: Didn't bust a cap!

Post by Denali »

Sorry for your loss in the family Rick.

You must have an outstanding place to hunt in Kansas! Many of us could only dream about whitetails that size.

Mike
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Sorry for your loss. Praying for you and family. I certainly appreciate your thoughts on taking game. Think it's about the stages of maturity. Used to be when I was young, what mattered was limiting out. Now it's more about the how of the hunt and the enjoyment of the moment. Blessings
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

First, sorry for your loss and second: pretty high standard with a 160 class deer. More power to you. Were you toting a Shiloh?
Real gun powder is black.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

pacecars wrote:First, sorry for your loss and second: pretty high standard with a 160 class deer. More power to you. Were you toting a Shiloh?
pacecars

"Were you toting a Shiloh?"

No!
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

No problem. Nice looking buck! I was toting a .243 yesterday but it just didn't feel right!
Real gun powder is black.