Interesting Quigley trivia

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tasmanian Rebel

Interesting Quigley trivia

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

On a particularly long layover waiting for the next flight home yesterday in Memphis I came across an interesting tidbit while reading the Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners book I bought at the Shiloh tent at the Q shoot. On page 115 of the Robert L Chambers bio it states "Many of the magnificent buffalo I shot would compare favorably with the fine specimen used as a model for the "Buffalo nickel". This big fellow was killed on the little porcupine in Montana by Jim McNaney, buffalo hunter and frontiersman. W.T. Hornaday, famed naturalist of New York, visited Montana in the nineties and procured the head and hide of this buffalo. Stuffed and mounted, it still stands in the Museum of Natural History in New York City."
I was told this was the Little Porcupine we shoot over on the Quigley shoot. If so the buffalo used as the model for the buffalo nickel may have come on or near Al Lee's ranch.
Hope all my new friends Bruce(both of them), Steve( good shooting with that 41), Blain, John, Gary(man what a hat),Maury, and Kodiak all made it home safe and sound. Enjoyed meeting the Bryans and Kenny W and Crystal too. Already made reservations at the Restwell for next year.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Taz: what does the" Encyclopedia" say about the god-like Frank Meyer?
Tasmanian Rebel

I wondered the same thing Ray and tried to find him. There is no mention of him in this book that I can find. When I first glanced at this book, all I could see were a bunch of names of people I've never heard of before but when I delved into some of these accounts I found, it was fascinating and funny reading at times. On page 13 on the E.J. "Lucky" Baldwin bio I quote " --" A huge bull was leading the buffalo stampede, and as this old fellow reached him, Lucky made his last desperate attempt for life. He grabbed for the old bull's horns, caught them, and drew himself to the animal's back, where he clung while the herd raced across the prairie. The buffalo headed for some cottonwoods, and as the bull led his followers into the grove, Lucky let go of the horns, seized an overhanging branch, and drew himself safely into the tree."I knew of similar happenings during my time on the range- that is, instances in which other hunters had ridden out stampedes on the backs of buffalo- I had no reason to question Lucky Baldwin's yarn..."
Another bit of trivia is that one of the 2 men who the book is dedicated to is R.L Moore of Philadelphia, Mississippi who passed away in the mid or late 1980's I think. I live only about 60 miles from where he lived and practiced medicine. I've heard at one time he had the largest collection of original Sharps rifles along with all of the original Sharps' shipping records. One of his friends told me recently that his colloection was sold (he thought) to Southeby's for millions of dollars.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Taz: so far no mention of Frank Meyer?

Guess some will say that the book is not good or wrong....
RMulhern

Quigley Trivia

Post by RMulhern »

Hey Ray

The book is not good...and probably wrong! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

The 'Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners' is being released as a series of volumes. The volume out now is A - D. We'll have to wait a while to see what they have to say about Frank Mayer.

The Encyclopedia seems to be very well and thoroughly researched. A lot of names and stories, that would otherwise be lost to history, are in there. Sometimes the only thing known about a hunter or skinner was just a name on an old ledger or a mention in a newspaper article or obiturary. If Frank Mayer had really "been there and done that" his name should show up somewhere. It should be very interesting to see what the 'Encyclopedia' will have to say.
TYRVR

Frank Meyer:

Post by TYRVR »

I'm from the east, and we killed all our buffalo with arrows and muzzle loaders, so no relevance to Sharps rifles......but I do have a question.....is this Frank Meyer anyway Connected with Oscar Meyer ? could this be where Oscar Meyer Franks got their name?

Ol'Tye, frank-ly confused,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Tasmanian Rebel

You are correct Hidehunter. On the front of the book no mention is made of "A to D" but is on an inside page. Something I didn't realize until seeing your post. Thanks for pointing that out. Now looking forward to getting the other versions.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Tas,

Thanks for the heads-up about the book. As soon as I can get an open line into Shiloh I am going to order one.

And talking about orders, anybody who does not have a set of the Shiloh mugs is missing out on a really beautiful sent of pottery mugs. I just got a set a week or so ago and I love them. And you what? I have found that they will hold beer just as well as they will coffee. :D
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Thank you again Tas. I just spoke with Phyllis and a copy of the book is on the way to me.
Lee Stone
steve witt

Post by steve witt »

Tas-Another good year at the Q. What a pleasure to meet you and all the other new faces. The Restwell Iowa contingent all made it home safe and sound. Hope to see you at one of our shoots, if not until next year Best Regards Steve ..
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Tas,
Congratulations for doing some fine shooting at your first Q !! I think this was one of the best ever, and I, too, am planning to return for next year's "gala" as well ..... the crowd RESTWEL RULES !!
Steve W,
Thanks for turning the Iowa Bunch into a sapping party and finding my lost blow tube !! A few passes througe the dies, and she's back in service again.
Let's start getting ready for next year ... there're only 356 days left !!
Play nice 'til then.

Gary
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
Smokin

Quigley???

Post by Smokin »

OK, I bite, just what is this Quigley thing I keep hearing about?

Smokin and clueless on the recently thawed, or formerly frozen, tundra.

:?
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Smokin,

Next year, plan to attend The Quigley Jr. Match in Forsyth Montana over VJ Day Weekend. There will be minimal crowds I understand, and you'll have Al Lee's full attention. There will be several moving silhouettes painted to look just like spotted buffalo placed randomly throughout the canyon. They will play tricks on you, though, and sometimes will appear to actually move !! Just to add a little spice, locals dressed up like real cowboys may even make you feel like you were in a good Old West shoot-out once the Match begins and you start knocking over some of the silhouettes. Al is always happy to help shooters into the Sheriff's plywood Jail House just for fun at any time during the Match. Maaaaaan, for a Minnesota fella, it oughta be a HOOT !!

Your friend,
OLR
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Taz,

It was great to meet you and all the regulars at the Restwel. Steve, John, Blaine, Del, Smokin', rdnck, and the others. It was my first trip there and you guys gave me help without my asking. Thanks to all. And what a blast shootin' on Al Lee's place. I will be back in '05.

Gary,I almost ran-over your blow-tube as I drove in the range, so I threw it in the back of the truck and Del Willard saw it and said he knew the owner. I told him to take it to you. Good deal it came out ok. I made a gun-cart for the Quigley and got some good ideas about additions it still needed, and most are done now. See everyone next year, if not sooner :lol: .