THE ONE . . .

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Denali

Re: THE ONE . . .

Post by Denali »

Understand Pete.

I use newer technology for coyotes too. My coyote gun for the last 15 years has been a little Remington model 7 in 17 Remington. Before that a .221 fireball contender rifle, and before that a 700 in 22-250.

I really want to get one with my Business rifle in 44-77 PP. Maybe after Christmas I'll get out and give it a try. It seems like the public land coyote hunting in the last 15 years has gotten much harder due to the increased sporting popularity with the younger generation and all the advertising and TV programs on predator hunting nowadays. I'm not a great coyote hunter but 20 years ago I could go out and get a couple in a day which involved a lot of driving, walking, and calling from sunrise to sunset. Loved it! Now I rarely get out and when I do, following a similar routine as I did in the past, I rarely get anything. Now we even have annual coyote hunting competitions in the state and almost every piece of public land has call-educated coyotes, at least for my calling.

Back to the original subject,

For me, since I'm liking the fit and balance of my business rifle so much, I just need to get the sights in order and practice a lot and I think it may fall in "the One" category for BP.

Mike
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Mike--Once you get the sights correlated with a laser rangefinder, you will be surprised how easy it is to hit at any distance as long as you can generate a quality sight picture. It DOES require that you practice enough to understand your sights and how to use them, but once you accomplish that, and have a known distance to the target, you will discover that the rifle is indifferent to the distance. Know the distance, set the sight correctly, and break a good shot AND THE RIFLE WILL DELIVER THE BULLET TO THE RIGHT PLACE. It really is that simple.

These rifles kill big game remarkably well and do it without a lot of meat damage. And they will shoot completely through buffalo at nearly any distance you can hit one. The problem most people have is that they don't really learn how to use the sights, and don't spend the time to learn how. Once you get really comfortable with your Business Rifle and take some game with it you will find that it is a whole different ball game. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks Bill for your advice and encouragement. Once I have a definite load settled on I'm going to practice this winter/spring and using my laser rangefinder, establish my sight settings.

Take care and merry Christmas!

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

Yea I'd like to get a coyote with my Hartford but the conditions have to be right. I went out a couple times last week and got 5 with the .243 but it would have been a real tough deal with the Sharps. We have contests here too and the hunting can be tough but when it works it's cool. You have experience so you know it's all about wind, wind ,wind. Good luck with the 44-77.
Denali

Post by Denali »

Pete,

You are a far better coyote hunter than I am. Good job!

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

Mike;
Thanks but I don't know about that. I'm proof that anybody can have a decent outcome once in awhile because I've gone out plenty of times without getting anything.