Coyote calling

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Saddlemaker

Coyote calling

Post by Saddlemaker »

Anybody call coyotes with their black powder rifles?
powderburner

Re: Coyote calling

Post by powderburner »

no I use a coyote call or a squeeker . but do carry my 26 inch 110 to dispatch them , when I get lucky.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

YeeHawww!! Now we're talkin!! I love hunting coyotes. I have called and chased many coyotes over the years, but have not gotten one with my Shiloh yet. My silhouette rifle is a Creedmoor #2 in 45-70 with a Soule sight. I have taken it out a few times, but it is so pretty I am afraid I am going to ding it or wack the sights on something. I bought a #3 in 45-70 with a standard contour barrel from MLV that I am going to make my hunting rifle. Eron Ahmer cut the barrel down to 26" for me, filled some screw holes, and mounted the Lawrence Ladder sight and front I ordered from Shiloh. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Paul Jones also made me a 490 grain flat nose bullet mold that I think will work well for hunting. I can't wait to try it out. Hopefully I can get one to come into a call and I can hit him. When I do, I will detail the story and post a few pictures. How about you, have you gotten one with a BPCR rifle? :wink: Cody
pete

Post by pete »

Dean;
I figured you'd just blow across the the muzzle, sorta like a pop bottle and call them in. You could change it up by going from a 44 to a 45 and get a different sound.

Saddlemaker;
A couple of years ago I called a couple in and killed one with my Lonestar rolling block 45-70. This season I've only been out 2 days along with one morning and an afternoon and killed 7 with my .243. In this open country there's usually some wind and they almost always circle down wind and getting a quality shot with an open sight bp rifle is tough if not impossible a lot of the time. I hate to fool them with a call and then wise them up....not that it doesn't happen as it is.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Yes, I have; mostly w/ a ml, but a few w/ 1 of the Shilohs. The guns work well; complete penetration w/ no damaged pelts to speak of. Most of them hit the ground where they are standing like they ran under the clothes line. Additionally, Pete is exactly correct in that coyotes (and other canids as well) use their nose as the acid test for all things suspicious. Mentally draw a big circle around yourself at your stand at your maximum effective range (MER), and half of that circle will always be on the downwind side of you. Over time about 3/4 of the predators that respond to your calling will generally end up somewhere in the downwind half of your circle once they get inside your MER to get the nose test. One needs to plan for this, when setting up to call. Lots more stuff, but you probably already know that. BTW coyotes get really goosey, when a 500 gr. bullets goes by about an inch away from their ears. But it is all fun.

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
Saddlemaker

Post by Saddlemaker »

Where is Carpenter Wyoming? It is a very chilly 68 degree's here in S/E Arizona and I'm trying to decided if I need a jacket or just my short sleeve shirt today. That should take up half my day with the other half dedicated to deciding if I want to try some BP in my 86 45-70. I just got a ghillie suit and am very anxious to try it out. My hunting partner will be here in a week and all he shoots is BP in his Shilo Sharps.