First new loads

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

44magnum

First new loads

Post by 44magnum »

Got the box from Buffalo Arms yesterday & proceeded loading a few
rounds for when I drive to Shiloh in two weeks to pick up the rifle.
Used the stretched brass to 45/90, goes 1f, CCI standard rifle primers,
Lyman 457132, Redding dies with compression die & 24" drop tube.
Although I've been loading smokeless for 15 yrs, this turned out to be
very tedious. I did not use a powder measure because of the "friction
issue" i have read about, so I trickled 90 grains into the pan on the
scale for each round. When it came to drop tubing, the 1f granulation
did not want to go through the tube. I kept having to flick on the tube to get it to go down, which was messy & kind of defeated the purpose.
Compressed powder & seated bullet to cover all grease grooves with a
.030 veggie wad. Once the powder was compressed stilled looked like I
could get probably 10 more grains of powder in the case. The bullet
seated nicely & I put a very slight crimp on it. I am getting a slight ring
around the bullet though from the seating die. To make matters worse I
got the cold shoulder from my wife for loading on her birthday.
Omak Cowboy

birth day no nos

Post by Omak Cowboy »

44, being a jeweller I can fix the cold shoulder issue, though I do understand your excitement at getting a new box of toys.

My problem is that my wife is a toxicologist and just about goes into apoplexy with the lead issue. Truth is she hasn't a clue about firearms but doesn't bat an eye about a $5,000 fish. Go figure?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

44:

Wow! you have a long drive ahead of you. Congratulations on the new rifle. I live a few miles South of you and I also have a 45-90 on order, however, I don't expect it to be ready until next March.

I cast the 457132 for my '86 Winchester. Bullets weigh 415 grains with 30-1 alloy. This should be a good hunting bullet, but probably not the best choice for target.

I use GOEX Cartridge BP. Two years ago, on my way to Colorado for an Elk hunt I picked up a 25 lb case at Dixie Gun Works in Union City TN - right on the way actually, and it's a neat place to visit.

In my old habits, from years of loading snokless cartridges, carefully weighing each charge, was my initial approach to loading black powder cartridges. Very soon however, I purchased a Lyman 55 Black Powder measure with the two foot drop tube. This is a much better approach. I test weigh every 10th drop or so, and the measure throws very uniform charges. This probably also results in more uniform compression.

I prefer the taper crimp die to the roll crimp on the seating die. Crimp just enough to remove the flare from the neck expanding die.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
44magnum

Post by 44magnum »

The powder measure I have is the one that came with my Rockchucker.
It seems I should invest in a blackpowder one. I am gonna get some 2f
& see if flows better through the drop tube. As it stands now I don't feel
that I am getting any where. Maybe, I should get another drop tube?
I gotta go to Montana to work on my property, the timing worked out
great with my rifle being ready.
I was down in Ft. Meyers last september at Teco Arena when I fought
in the Toughman Contest. It was only about 2 hours from me.
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

44:

I was wrong about the 457132. That's Lyman's 535 gr Postell, which should be a great long range bullet in the 45-90. I have the 457193 which is the 405 gr FN. I'll probably get the Postell mold when I get closer to my rifle's delivery date.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
dlemaster

Post by dlemaster »

44magnum
Definitely try a larger drop tube. I was dropping 2F through a 36" piece of 1/4" rigid copper tubing for .45/70, .45/2-7/8, and .50/70.
When I changed to 1F for the .45/2-7/8 I had a terrible time with bridging in the small tube, I made up another drop tube 36" long and from 5/16" rigid copper tubing and that cured the problem.
Regards, Dave
" I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independant and prepared, for either war or peace".
David Crockett 1834
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I don't know what the diameter of my 36 inch brass drop tube is , but in just fits inside the case mouth of a 45/70 case ! 1/4 inch copper tubes are for distilling moonshine ! :lol: I hope you took your wife to diner ! :shock: JAGG
JAGG
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

FWIW: I also use a larger dia. copper tube for a drop tube. I’ve also found a sheet metal worker to fabricate & solder a funnel onto the pouring end to alleviate spillage.

One could also flare the bottom end of the tube so it rests on the mouth of the case.

If you fabricate a stand for the drop tube, drill a hole to insert a shell holder for the caliber in the base of the stand. Then drill for a small set screw to secure the shell holder in place. This will just about eliminate any spillage.

If you reload for calibers of different chamber lengths, an o ring will act as stop to hold the tube @ the appropriate height-- to just rest on the case mouth if flared or just inside it if it isn't. My tube rides in 2 eye bolts that are screwed in to the stand.

The drop tube stand also has an “arm” to affix the powder measure to it. This whole-she-bang then sits in a baking tray & the drop tube base is clamped to reloading bench. Any spillage is contained in the tray. Not to imply that any of us are so clumsy as to ever spill powder…..
dlemaster

First New Loads

Post by dlemaster »

Jagg
Actually I use a pyrex glass condenser for liquid corn :lol:
Its safer than copper and easier to keep clean :wink:
Regards, Dave
" I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independant and prepared, for either war or peace".
David Crockett 1834
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

It maybe easier to clean but it doesn't have the same old taste to it ! These new kids with Pyrex tubes ?! Oh ! Since my brass tube fits inside the case mouth i wraped tape around it so that just 3/8 inch will go into the case neck letting the powder drop freely into the case ! JAGG
JAGG
dlemaster

First New Loads

Post by dlemaster »

JAGG
After a couple of good hits from that stuff, taste becomes somewhat secondary, if ya know what mean? :P
If your interested when I made up my new drop tube I made up an extra.
Its yours if you want to pay postage. It has an white oak base about 3/4"X 6"X8"
and a white oak upright piece about 3/4"X1-1/4"X 24" with two arms inletted into the upright and drilled for the tube, tube is a snug fit but a couple of "O" rings on the tube would fix it if it ever got loose. Only thing I would do is get one of those brass funnels from Dixie Gun Works and solder it to the top of the tube. Oh yeah, the tube is 36" but could be shortened.
Regards, Dave
David Crockett 1834
dlemaster

First New Loads

Post by dlemaster »

JAGG
After a couple of good hits from that stuff, taste becomes somewhat secondary, if ya know what mean? :P

44magnum
If your interested when I made up my new drop tube I made up an extra.
Its yours if you want to pay postage. It has an white oak base about 3/4"X 6"X8"
and a white oak upright piece about 3/4"X1-1/4"X 24" with two arms inletted into the upright and drilled for the tube, tube is a snug fit but a couple of "O" rings on the tube would fix it if it ever got loose. Only thing I would do is get one of those brass funnels from Dixie Gun Works and solder it to the top of the tube. Oh yeah, the tube is 36" but could be shortened.
Regards, Dave
David Crockett 1834