Forster Seating Die

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

James M

Forster Seating Die

Post by James M »

Is Forster Precision Product's patented "perfect alignment" seating die truely unique & useful, or just marketing?

See the Patent here:
http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=US0 ... /3,440,923
Received my Shiloh catalog :D waiting for my engraving order kit
Planning my Sharps order, lots of Photoshop'n
James M

Post by James M »

I forgot to add, that this is in reference to Forster Products

http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/dies.htm
Received my Shiloh catalog :D waiting for my engraving order kit
Planning my Sharps order, lots of Photoshop'n
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Looking at their catalog description, the Forster Benchrest die has a sliding sleeve similar to the present Redding Comptition and the old Lyman PA (precision alignment) seating dies. There must have been some difference to gain a patent on, but unfortunately, I cannot bring up patents at the USPO site and haven't been able to download their system.

A friend has some Bonanza Benchrest dies (taken over by Forster after Claude Purdie's death) and says they are the best he owns.

I guess the bad part is that they do not make the Benchrest die (or any Forster die) in BPCR calibres and the Redding Competition die for straight cases is not the same as for bottleneck. It doesn't have the sliding sleeve, just a "floating" seating plug.
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

I have a Redding Bench-rest bullet-seater that is marked "45/90 seater". It doesn't have a floating collar to center-up the bullet before final seating. Just a tapered cone-like guide that does the final seating/ alingment of the bullet. I have ran loaded rounds over a device that checks out-of-round cartridges and mine are right-on for straightness. So, I guess the Redding seater works ok :lol: . Good luck,